Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Cool Colors. Warm Quilt.

It's a finish!
58 x 72

This started with a junior jelly roll someone gave me. I don't buy precuts so I had never heard of JUNIOR jelly rolls. Those only have 20 strips, not 40. So I added in some blue strips from the blue scrap bag. 


I quilted it on my DSM (Brother PQ1500) with some white swirls. 

Before I quilted it I should have read my June 2022 post where I mentioned I had a block turned the wrong way. It would have been an easy fix. But I didn't and so it goes.

The back is solid blue and the binding is a blue and white stripe. 

And now it is ready for donation.

"Blues and Browns" has been the theme this month in my sewing space to move UFOs forward.  In February my theme is "Free Range" -- I'll allow myself to range with freedom through the sewing space and work on any UFOs that suit my fancy. 

And sew on...

CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

Jan. 30 - Melting snow.We had some deep snow and drifts. Melting snow. That's cause for celebration!  I could make it out the backdoor and take a picture of my finished quilt hanging on the clothesline. While I was out I was also able to walk back to the gardens. I was pleasantly surprised that no trees have fallen this year in any of my garden areas.  I have a veg garden, cutting garden, herb garden, cottage garden and native wildflower garden.  I was not celebrating when I saw all the deer poop everywhere and damage to plants. 😢

 

11 comments:

Julierose said...

Another lovely blues quilt....lovely quilting too. I can only do straight (actually semi-straight!) quilting on my machine; I never got the hang of free motioning...;0000 Hugs Julierose

Gretchen Weaver said...

Beautiful quilt, love the blues and I didn't even notice the wrong turned block until I read what you said. Perfection is overrated at times. Your quilting is excellent! Happy stitching!

Linda said...

This is a really lovely quilt. I lve striped bndings and your chosen fabric works so well, super quilting too. Glad you managed to walk around your garden. Ours is looking much neater since we had a big pruning job done last week. Expensive but necessary.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Beautiful blues quilt. I always love the look of blocks on point, but hate sewing it together. I am trying to figure out how I can container veg garden this year due to tiny yard. Trying to look up info. Rabbits are my curse for plants around here. I invested a lot in green chicken wire fencing and found when the snow melted, they are burrowing underneath it.

Jenny said...

Cool colours in the snow. Another lovely donation quilt.

MissPat said...

It's doubtful that anyone but the quilt police will notice the turned block. Sew on. I took a walk out to the compost pile after the snow had melted and discovered deer damage (males rubbing antlers on branches and trunks) to a lilac and a virburnum. Also found the Eastern Red Cedar had two large brnaches that had split. I noticed one a few weeks ago, but apparently the heavy wet snow from last Sunday had broken a second (and even bigger) branch. And yes, I really have to watch where I step.
Pat

Andrea said...

I really like this quilt! Simple design and soothing colour palette.

Chantal said...

I LOVE this quilt! Blue is such a calming, soothing colour. Great job on this finish. I was about to mention your "lack" of snow in the pictures but you celebrate it in your post. Is Spring coming where you live? We have freezing rain. Yuck! Sorry about the deer damaging your gardens. Have fun with the "Free Range" month. ;^)

Nann said...

So soothing-looking, Cathy. And I like your FMQ.

gayle said...

Oh well - at least the deer poop is free fertilizer. Think how sad you'd be if they pooped thunderbolts.
Love that blue quilt with its almost-invisible surprise! (If you hadn't pointed it out, I don't think anyone would have noticed...)

mangozz said...

It took me awhile to find your block turned the wrong way as the blues blend so well together. I have a feeling that the recipient won't even notice. Blues always seem to be so cool and calming.