Saturday, January 6, 2024

Green Scraps Chapter I

Boo Boo Patches
3 x 6

The Boo Boo Patches are a result of a mistake I made last August when I intended to make an 18 patch with 1.5 x 2.5 inch strip sets but measured incorrectly and ended up with an 18 patch of 1.5 inch squares.  So I turned a mistake into a new quilt and will carry on making Boo Boo Patches. 

Green is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. I keep my scraps by color and then within the scrap bag I sometimes have separate bags of different widths of scraps. If I know the width as I sort and put away scraps I put them in the appropriate scrap width bag within that bag of colored scraps.  My intent has always been to get the bags down to scrap chunks but you know how scraps just happen around here.  Then it just so happens that I usually have a different block going as a RSC project to use each size width of scraps. I have found this a good way to use scraps and have fun doing it. I can make scrappy blocks a few at a time each month and before I know it I have enough blocks for a quilt or two. Sometimes I have to wait for scraps to happen in a particular width and color. If I don't have any scraps in a particular width and color then I skip making that block or I cut a width from my scrap chunks. 

It is always a lot of fun to see what scraps I get to work with each month when a color is declared. So, anyway, when green was declared the color for January I pulled out the huge green scrap bag and within I found a whole lot of green 1.5 inch width scraps. So all the blocks this week are made from those scraps. 

Lil' Baskets
4 inch 

I started making these little baskets last February. I made a few pink ones and then must have promptly forgot this was a RSC project and never made any more.  These will be set on point and  alternate with squares of a red fabric with baskets. Pattern from the book Scrappy Firework Quilts by Edyta Sitar. Background fabrics will be all creams, baskets will be all browns and HSTs will be in he RSC color of the month.

Potato Chip Blocks
6 inch

I started making these in September 2022 and have not gotten very far. There are usually not many 1.5 inch scraps left by the time I get to making these blocks. When I started making lots of blocks from 1.5 inch scraps I had a bin of 1.5 inch scraps I was trying to empty. This is actually the last block I make with 1.5 inch scraps if there are enough 1.5 x 2.5 inch pieces for a block after all other blocks are made. 

Windmill
4 inch


Switch Plate
3 x 5


And then I cut what was left into 1.5 x 2.5 pieces for the Lego project box. And then I cut 1.5 inch squares for the Postage Stamp Strippy project box. 

And sew on...

Got scraps?



************
CELEBRATE:

Jan. 5 - I won 27 FQs!!! Stashbusters UFO Challenge 2023 year end random drawing. 


 

16 comments:

maggie fellow said...

wonderful new greens for your projects

Elle said...

You are the scrap management Queen! Some people talk about it nonstop. You DO it AND sew it up!

Happy Saturday :-)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

It's so much fun to see what you're working on! Boo Boo Patches--love the name, love the block! I'm partial to rectangular blocks, and your colors are terrific.

scraphappy said...

It is always amazing to see so many great scrap blocks every month. Those baskets are adorable. Glad you remembered them again. That is always fun!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

There are so many fun ways to sew with different sizes of scraps - I love seeing what you do! The baskets are really cute. I'll enjoy following along as your different quilt projects develop this year, Cathy!

Julierose said...

I do like your idea of "cutting" scraps as you go; love the postage and potato chip blocks. Enjoy your greenery;))) hugs, Julierose

Mari said...

What a great assortment of blocks! I love the name of the Boo Boo Patches, too. A lot of great quilts in the works!

Laura said...

Always fun to see your projects! Congrats on your Celebrate...27 fat quarters...woohooooo! :)

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I'm impressed by the number of projects you've got going. Also, that they are based on 1.5" and everyone is unique.

Jenny said...

You are always so well organized with your scraps, lots of green goodness happening here.

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Great green scrap blocks!

grammajudyb said...

I need to cut all my scraps down. I’m not very consistent with that task! You are an expert at it!

Astrid said...

Lots of fun green scrap blocks. I've not even started! lol I consider myself quite scrap organized, but you are the winner!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, you have certainly run with the green theme! So many ideas, so many blocks, so wonderful!

gayle said...

Woohoo! I love seeing what you're up to! So many great blocks and so much inspiration! (And now you need Yogi blocks to go with your Boo Boos)

Deb A said...

You are so organized in your scrap keeping! So many fun blocks being made are going to make some lovely quilts. Have a wonderful week.