Thursday, January 4, 2024

Pavement Pattern



Pavement Pattern blocks has been one of my leader/ender projects. I started making them in May of last year. I have enough pieces cut for 35 blocks and will soon have those finished. Then I am going to decide if I have anything to use for sashing or if I should make more blocks.  I have been using brown scraps to make these blocks following a tutorial by Beth Shibley. 

This year I am continuing on with my own monthly themes to move UFOs forward.   This month my theme is "Browns and Blues".  

I don't normally pick a word for the year but we have had a rough couple of years with many family members passing away, others with critical illnesses and if you read my blog once in awhile you know about my husband's health problems and that I've been his caretaker for awhile.  With all that going on it is sometimes difficult to stay in a positive frame of mind. So this year I chose a word -- CELEBRATE. And I'm going to try to find something each day to celebrate. 

CELEBRATIONS:

Jan. 1 - Several of hubby's surviving siblings (he is oldest of 8) came from NC, TX and other parts of IA to visit for a few days.  

Jan. 2- Hubby's visit with pulmonologist showed that most of the fluid on his lungs (from aspiration pneumonia and from  6 months of aspirating food and drink because he can no longer swallow) is almost gone.
 
Jan. 3 - Hubby's lab work showed that his critically low sodium is finally now within normal range. Confusion and tremors in hands are gone. 

Jan. 4 - Another seed catalog full of colorful photos arrived yesterday full of all kinds of seeds I want to order. 



 

12 comments:

scraphappy said...

Celebrating sounds like a great way to start off the new year. Your pavement blocks are lovely.

Anonymous said...

I'll be interested to see where you go with your pavement blocks. Glad to hear that your husband's health is showing some improvement. And congratulation on your wonderful attitude of celebration!

Ceci

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It looks like you have some things to celebrate. I'm glad to hear your hubby's problems aren't as severe now. I hope he is more hopeful now too.

If you need some brown scraps, shout out. I can send you some. Or if you want some yardage for sashing. I have an abundance of pretty brown fabrics. More than I can use in my lifetime.

gayle said...

I can't think of anything more full of hope than a seed catalog. Enjoy!

Mystic Quilter said...

So good to read your daily celebrations Cathy, you couldn't have chosen a better word after past couple of years.

Tammy said...

I love the idea of daily celebrations. I’m so happy you and your husband have been getting some good news!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I really like those blocks! Are you making a whole quilt in browns? Such good news that you're celebrating, too! Health improvements for your husband and spring planting just around the corner - sounds good!

Chantal said...

To celebrate the little moments of life is so underrated. We should all be grateful at night for all the little smiles we received during the day and all those we gave, may it be just a "hello, little fur-friend", seeing a rainbow, listening to birds singing, witnessing friends hugging each other as they meet on the sidewalk, happiness abound if we know how to look.
I am so relieved to hear about your husband's health latest check-up. That's wonderful news but I will continue to pray for both of you. Enjoy the "Brown and Blue" this month. ;^)

Nann said...

Celebrate indeed! And the pavement blocks are another scrappy inspiration.

Linda said...

Love those Pavement blocks. Good for you, choosing such a positive word as Celebration. Great idea to note something to celebrate each day, a version of counting your blessings. It’s time that your luck changed.

Laura said...

What a great word - Celebrate! And love those reasons that you listed!

Allison said...

Great that you have chosen such a positive word for 2024. It might sometimes be difficult to sum up the emotional energy to celebrate but it seems like a good word to come back to and an encouragement to reflect on the positive things that occur day by day or week by week.
Very glad to hear your husband's medical problems are being managed effectively.
Happy New Year!