Saturday, January 27, 2024

Something Has Been Bugging Me


It's a top!
42.5 x 51

This top started with a little baggie of 5 inch squares and the note above. 



Too bright? 

Also it just so happens that green is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. I had my green scrap bag out full of LOTs of scraps.  So I pulled out some chunks of green and cut 2.5 inch sides and made some Happy Blocks. 

Those bright center squares gave me a chance to use some dark and muddy looking olive greens as frames. 

I didn't have quite enough squares in the baggie for a quilt so I dug into my little drawer of novelties and found a few squares to add to the mix. 

Too bright? Seriously? 

And sew on...




****

CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

Jan. 26 - Melting snow outside, seed catalogs, a quilt, a couch and a cup of hot chocolate. 


I save a lot of my seeds and order other seeds at gardening year end when they are deeply discounted but I have been expanding my gardens since I retired and have added a native wildflower area as well as a cutting garden.  This time of year I have a good time just looking at pictures in seed catalogs. Of course I could skip the paper catalogs and look at pictures on line but for me that is not the same experience as cuddling up in a quilt with a cup of hot chocolate and a seed catalog near a window where I can see the snow outside. 

We have a huge veg garden and process and store veggies for the two of us for a year. We also give a lot of produce away. Well, since hubby can no longer swallow and will be getting his nutrition via gtube for the rest of his life I won't be growing quite as many veggies this year. I was thinking I might like to grow Sunflowers or flowers for drying in those parts of the veggie garden instead.  I love gardening!


 

18 comments:

Linda said...

I don’t think quilts can never be too bright….. the brighter the better! I love your Happy Blocks quilt. Someone will love it. Glad you’re enjoying snuggling under a quilt with hot chocolate and interesting reading material.

Julierose said...

Definitely not too bright--very cheerful i would say--some lucky person will love this!!
Sounds like a nice relaxing afternoon with hot cocoa and seed
"catalog-dreaming" for you...hugs, Julierose

Elle said...

The bugs are fantastic! Bright is relative to the beholder. No such thing for this girl :-)

Happy catalog surfing!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes if you love gardening but no long need so many veggies go with flowers - they will brighten your life and continue to give you outside hobby time that you need to help cope with stress I bet.
The fabric is not too bright - maybe for her but not for a lot of others

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The kids enjoy the bright colors even if the maker doesn't. I'm glad you found a use for them in the color of the month quilt.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great way to use those GREEN scraps!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, no accounting for taste; I have a dear person who loves cream and beige and taupe and so on, it has taken me years to learn that the bright blue to match the eyes is just not the right choice no matter what I think.

This makes a great quilt! Do zinnias grow where you are? They are wonderfully cheering garden flowers I find and the darn deer don't seem to enjoy eating them the way they do sunflowers.

Ceci

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I'd say those squares were just perfect for the beautiful, happy quilt you made! I love sunflowers, and there are so many different varieties out there. Have fun planning your garden this year!

Jenny said...

The brighter the bugs the better, as far as kids are concerned!

Ann said...

You mixed bright, clear, and greyed greens beautifully in this quilt. They show of the centers well. Congratulations.

MissPat said...

Perhaps the friend was a civil war quilts person. Kids quilts are meant to be bright. Yours will be loved and treasured. I stopped buying seeds years ago and still have packets of flower seeds that never got planted. I hope you can find a way to protect your new roses from the ravenous deer.
Pat

Chantal said...

How can you not love those adorable, bright bugs? It's the only kind I like! You turned them into a lovely quilt. Great job! I totally get you. Flipping the pages of a beloved catalogue with a cup of coffee is bliss; no electronic devices can bring the same feeling of Ohs and Ahs. Enjoy! ;^)

gayle said...

Too bright? Too bright? What does this even mean - too bright? Those squares are perfectly bright!
I do love to cuddle up with a good seed catalog, too. It's so much fun to dream when the ground is covered in snow.

Pamela Arbour said...

I'm glad she didn't want the fabrics. They will be going to a grateful person to enjoy and lift their day! I love it. I am looking forward to enjoying your flower gardens. I'm just not good at that. I'm pretty much a dedicated "indoor" person. LOL

Beth H said...

As many have said...Too bright??!!
They are perfect and you handily turned them into a top....I'll bet you didn't even break a sweat!
Seed catalogues sound so cheery in January STILL!
Here in Minnesota we are looking at - gasp - green grass.
I am happy for your cheery Happy blocks and your happy optimistic seed searching.

mangozz said...

Kids really like bright colors. You were fortunate to be gifted these squares as someone knew that you would make good use of them. I would take a real book or magazine over a digital version any day. I have had digital versions and never bother to use them. I spend too much time online as it is.

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love gardening but I am not a pro. I learn by trial and error. I wish I had more land so I could have raised veggie beds. Our soil here is clay. I make compost and add it every year, but never quite win the battle. I love looking at seed catalogs. I really could use a lesson on growing them successfully ahead of time. I really miss flowers this time of year. Too bright, really? The fabrics aren't neon or dayglow. They play very nicely with the borders you made.

Nann said...

I agree -- they aren't too bright! Your happy blocks setting is great. I think about Hymn of Promise by Natalie Sleeth upon seeing your seed catalogs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jXQTYLBoUc