Sunday, November 4, 2018

Tip Toe Through the Tulips

 I've been making some string tulips...
 ...for this quilt - Now and Then from the book Material Obsession 2 by Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke. 
You may remember that I had a lot of 2.5 inch 30s reproduction scraps left over after making an Ocean Waves quilt and a Framed Four Patch quilt.  I was pondering what to do with them and looked at what I had bookmarked in a few books for ideas. 

 I only had a few 2.5 inch pieces leftover after I made all twenty-four of the triangle pieces. I had just enough of that fabric I wanted to use for the background. I'm using that red plaid I had in my Christmas fabrics for the contrast in those triangle pieces. Again, I had just a little of that red plaid to spare - maybe, just maybe enough for the binding but I haven't gotten that far yet.  So, anyway...I guess this quilt was meant to be. 
The tulips in the pattern are made of crumbs but I don't have any 30s repro crumbs so I'm using 1.5 inch pieces leftover from Vintage Thingamajigs that I threw into a box with a string quilt UFO. 

I need to make 8 more tulips this size and one big one for the center. I've been working on appliqueing them to the background a little each evening.

Saturday, November 3, 2018

It's About Time

 I finished six Christmas stockings. 

 Forty years ago when my son was four years old and my daughter was two years old I made them these Christmas Stockings. Santa has filled them with goodies every year since then. They have held up pretty well except some of the stitches in the embroidery of their names are missing. 

Six years later another son came along and every year since then I've been telling myself I really need to make him a special Christmas stocking since he has worn out many a cheap felt dollar store stocking. 

And finally...this is the year now that he's 34 years old. 

Johnny has always loved cats. While going through Christmas and cat fabrics I found enough bits and pieces of  Laurel Burch fabrics to put together a stocking for him. Won't he be surprised. 

 I thought I had enough six inch Christmas nine patches to make six stockings but I only had enough to make four.  There's two for my granddaughters, one for my grandson and one for my son-in-law. 

I had some six inch squares of snowmen and snowflakes to make a stocking for my oldest son's girlfriend because I know that's something she likes. 

Now everyone will have their own special Christmas stocking for Santa to fill. 

And I know what they will all say on Christmas day when they see them...
"It's About Time". 

Friday, November 2, 2018

Vintage Thingamajigs Monthly Update

I work on these blocks for 20 minutes every day.  I added 25 blocks to the pile in October.  I now have a total of 88 blocks.  Each six inch block has 29 pieces. They were inspired by some vintage blocks I saw on Flickr.   Yes, I can see a couple of blocks with pieces turned the wrong way.  And so it goes. 

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Sunflowers #7 and #8

I just finished Sunflowers # 7 and #8 

My November goal is to finish at least two more Sunflower blocks.