Sunday, November 4, 2018

Tip Toe Through the Tulips

 I've been making some string tulips...
 ...for this quilt - Now and Then from the book Material Obsession 2 by Kathy Doughty and Sarah Fielke. 
You may remember that I had a lot of 2.5 inch 30s reproduction scraps left over after making an Ocean Waves quilt and a Framed Four Patch quilt.  I was pondering what to do with them and looked at what I had bookmarked in a few books for ideas. 

 I only had a few 2.5 inch pieces leftover after I made all twenty-four of the triangle pieces. I had just enough of that fabric I wanted to use for the background. I'm using that red plaid I had in my Christmas fabrics for the contrast in those triangle pieces. Again, I had just a little of that red plaid to spare - maybe, just maybe enough for the binding but I haven't gotten that far yet.  So, anyway...I guess this quilt was meant to be. 
The tulips in the pattern are made of crumbs but I don't have any 30s repro crumbs so I'm using 1.5 inch pieces leftover from Vintage Thingamajigs that I threw into a box with a string quilt UFO. 

I need to make 8 more tulips this size and one big one for the center. I've been working on appliqueing them to the background a little each evening.

15 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 30s scraps look perfect for this project! I really like the string pieced tulips - lots of fun color there!

Run 'n Stitch said...

I really like the red and black plaid in your quilt. Who would think to put it in a quilt with 30's reproduction fabric. It's perfect.

---"Love" said...

Your string tulips are just so sweet! Looking forward to the finish! ---"Love"

Linda said...

This is looking fabulous. I have that book but no time in my schedule to make one. So I'll just enjoy yours! 🌷

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful tulip blocks!

Janie said...

What a fun pattern! Yes, your tulips are beautiful and the red plaid
adds definition, wonderful choices.

Julierose said...

Those tulips are amazing...so cute hugs, Julierose

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Perfect pattern for these scraps. This quilt is going to be so charming. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Lovely tulips, and the black & red is perfect with them!

mangozz said...

Very pretty blocks! I love the fabrics and colors.

Angie said...

Love how this looks so far! True story - I had not seen your post, but decided today to join Cecile's (Patchwork Inspirations) QAL for 2019 and make string-pieced tulip blocks!

Janice Holton said...

I really like the design you chose to put your scraps into! It's going to be super cute.

Karen's Korner said...

Great use of scraps. Very pretty.

audrey said...

Love this. Two of my favorite elements, scraps and tulips!!

gayle said...

oh, this is going to be amazing!