Sunday, November 25, 2018

Experimenting

I issued myself a Holiday Cheer challenge to use my holiday fabrics this year.  That includes patriotic fabrics.  I made two quilts this year that need finishing that used patriotic fabrics but still have quite a bit of fabric left in the box. I'm short on light prints but have lots of reds and blues.  I've had a Triangles Galore tutorial bookmarked for quite awhile so thought I would give it a try. I didn't use the measurements or template in the tutorial - I used my kaleidoscope ruler instead and 4 inch strips of fabric.  They went together easily so I will make more. I haven't decided on what to use for corner fabrics. I'll decide after I make more blocks. They finish at around 14 inches so I won't need many. 

8-12 inches of snow predicted for today from Winter Storm Bruce and it's snowing snowballs right now. Guess I'll go sew. 

9 comments:

---"Love" said...

Those blocks are incredible! You probably know patriotic fabrics and quilts are my favorites! ---"Love"

Quilting Babcia said...

Those are such pretty blocks, and looks like there is a lot of opportunity to change things up with each one. It will be fun watching this one develop.

gayle said...

Exciting stars!
They're like the centers of the Triangle Stars, with the values changed up a bit. And oh, the possibilities for arranging the colors! Enjoy!

Ann said...

It's fun to adapt patterns to the tools and techniques we prefer. I'm glad you found another use for the kaleidoscope ruler. And good job using holiday and patriotic fabrics.

Louise said...

Very cool stars! I like the one on the left especially, with it's contrasting inner ring. Great use of patriotic fabrics :)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

What great blocks! I'm impressed you achieved them with your kaleidoscope ruler! Brrr. . . .that snow sounds cold and that it will be around for awhile. That is a lot of inches!!!!! Stay warm and sew, sew, sew!!!!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

These are beautiful Cathy. They look so different depending on fabric placement. I look forward to seeing more!

Linda said...

Great blocks. Sounds as though you enjoyed trying something new. Keeps the little grey cells functioning! Good luck with all that snow - sounds horrendous!

Nann said...

I had to look closely to see that they're kaleidoscope units. These stars are gorgeous!