Saturday, January 13, 2024

Green Scraps Chapter II

Wonky Windmills
8 inch

Last week I dug into the green scrap bag and worked with all of the 1.5 inch scraps I found. This week I worked with the 4.5 inch green scraps I found. I started making Wonky Windmills last year. I'm using gray scraps as the background for these blocks. I'm using a stack and slash method to make the Wonky Windmills from 4.5 x 5 inch scraps. I'll make them from scraps all this year and toward year end I'll see how many blocks I have and how many donation quilts I can make. 

Flowers
8 inch
The green scraps I used in these came from a little box of floral scraps I've been using to make these Flower blocks. I'm aiming for a twin sized donation quilt. I've also been making these since last year. 

Kaleidoscope Blocks
8 inches

I made the two red Kaleidoscope blocks last year from scraps I had laying around my cutting mat. That was to remind me to add this block to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) roundup.  The green 4.5 inch scraps came out of the green scrap bag.  I'm using yellow scraps for the alternate and corner pieces in all blocks. Again these blocks will go into a donation quilt. 

Claudia's Scrapbuster
9.5 inch

These blocks are made with 4 inch, 2 inch and 2.5 inch pieces. I started making them last October to use a baggie of 4 inch squares as well as a little box of 4 inch width scraps that I seem to have accumulated mostly because I never really have made many blocks that use 4 inch pieces. I usually have a block going for most every size scrap I encounter. 



I'm just going to make blocks each month in the RSC color of the month until that baggie and box of 4 inch scraps is used up and then decide what to do with the blocks.  For now it's all about using scraps and making blocks and enjoying the process! 

And sew on....



******
CELEBRATE!! (my word of the year)

Jan. 12 - Tyler Daniel, 8 lb. 3 oz., was born to my niece Katrina and her husband! They live in a distant  and warmer land called California so I just have pictures of Tyler to cuddle. 

Jan. 13 - Today is my oldest son's 50th birthday! (And I thought I was 50 until I realized mom and son can't both be the same age). 

 

14 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

Nice green blocks! sometimes it's fun to see for no time or reason,some of the best quilts are created that way

Gwyned Trefethen said...

I always learn something new from reading RSC blogs. It never occurred to me to divvy scraps into sizes and select a different block for each size. Well, that is probably because my scraps are more like very irregular crumbs of quite random sizes. I do love the idea. Clearly it serves you well.

Mari said...

What a great selection of blocks! You have great scraps too. Congratulations on the happy addition to the family!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Great ideas, great blocks. Love the scraps. Thanks for the video link, started to check it out.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like Claudia's Scrapbuster block! It makes a neat secondary design when the corners come together. Thanks for the link!

Sara said...

Celebrate is a really awesome word to choose - it should encourage positivity and enthusiasm. I really like your idea to use grey scraps in the backgrounds of those Windmill blocks. The colors will pop!

Sharon M said...

May you stay the age of 50 for just as long as you want!
Love your quilts. You are an inspiration.
Sharon M

Jenny said...

That's a nice selection of green blocks. Plenty of family celebrations for you,welcome to th new baby, and Happy Birthday to your son.

grammajudyb said...

There are always fun interesting block to see at Sane,Crazy, Crumby Quilting.Looking forward to see Wonky pinwheels come together.

Tammy said...

I love those wonky windmills! And happy birthday to your son! It’s my youngest son’s birthday today too! He’s 26

gayle said...

Yeah, it's a big shock when our children are older than we are, right? ;)

Linda said...

Glad you have family celebrations to remember. Have you made the new baby a quilt? Great collection of green blocks, love the little windmills. Hope the snow isn’t too bad.

Susie H said...

What a grand array of blocks to work on all year. Congratulations on the family expansion and birthday wishes to that youngster son of yours!

Nann said...

Happy birthday! Lots of wonderful quilt seedlings have sprouted. Stay warm inside!