Tuesday, January 9, 2024

It's A Top! Old World

It's a top!
It's a flimsy!
Old World
67.5 x 81

I took pictures yesterday because we have more than nine inches of snow predicted for today.  It was windy so it was difficult to get good pictures. The bottom row is cut off but you can see it in all it's glory...

...in this photo. 

Back in September 2023 someone with the Stashbusters Group posted a link to

When I followed the link and saw the block I was in love at first sight. Although I rarely watch Youtube videos because my laptop and phone are too old for videos to load properly, I did manage to watch it and take notes on making the 13.5 inch block. I used civil war reproduction scraps to make the blocks. I first made six blocks to see if I wanted to continue to make more. Then between September and December 2023 I made the remaining 24 blocks all at one time in small steps as leader/enders. 

I like how the blocks look different depending upon fabric placement.  I just sewed the blocks together randomly in a 5 x 6 layout. 


...and sew on.


*****
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Jan. 8 - Old Episodes of Twilight Zone. (1952-1964)

Backstory: Hubby has been watching a lot of old TV shows. Since I've moved my sewing machine up to the dining room table to be near him while he recuperates I have been sort of listening/watching them too.   I remember watching some episodes when I was a young girl and at the time I thought they were a lot like Aesop's Fables - there was a moral to the story and/or something to think about. My favorite episode has always been "Eye of the Beholder". So I had to look up when that first aired - Nov. 11, 1960. I would have been 8 years old at the time. And that sparked another memory of old TVs with vacuum tubes. I found it fascinating when Dad took me to the corner drug store to test a vacuum tube he took out of the back of our TV when it was not working. I think most drug stores back in those days had self-serve tube testers. 

Jan. 9 - Hoarfrost. New Snowfall. A Winter Wonderland. Sun Sparkling on the Snow. 


I like when everything is coated with hoarfrost and sometimes the trees against the sky look like pieces of lace. 




 

15 comments:

Elle said...

You brought those fabrics to life! Great flimsy :-)

JCH said...

Isn't it neat how diff fabric placements make diff looking blocks? I see tiles and some that sort of look like churn dashes. We are getting mega snow right now. Good day to watch old shows and sew.

Julierose said...

Just a beautiful quilt you've sewn--nice colors...hugs, Julierose

gayle said...

I've been looking forward to your reveal of this one and it's even more gorgeous than I'd imagined! I watched that video when you first linked to it and have this quilt perking away in the back of my head. (You know that my quilts-to-be-started list can now be seen from space, right?)

Linda Swanekamp said...

The quilt reminds me of a luxurious tile floor in a fancy place. It has real saturated colors that form a great design. Yikes, I remember going to the drugstore and testing the tubes. I think those were just black and white TVs. We did not get a color TV until a lot later. I used to go to a neighbor's house and watch some shows, especially the once a year, Wizard of Oz. Hope you are snug today with the weather. The high winds predicted have not materialized yet.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Love this beautiful quilt and love this post! Happy New Year!

Jenny said...

Another lovely top! I like your word for the year, celebrate. Celebrate what we have, celebrate each new step as we navigate through this year, celebrate our hobbies and friendships.

Chantal said...

It's 2p.m. here and the snow is just starting. We had the 9 inches of snow prediction too. We'll see how much we get.
I love this quilt. All gorgeous repro fabrics to look at. I especially love the second block in the 3rd row. The blue bars are close to the centre but not the West and East ones. Love it!
Twilight Zone used to scare me so much but I would watch it anyway. Now I have to watch the Eye of the Beholder because you got me curious. Wonder if I'll have a nightmare tonight like I used to, lol. ;^)

Linda said...

Lovely quilt, love the colours you chose. 9” of snow expected! Goodness me, unheard of in my part of the world. Hope you enjoy sewing and ignoring the weather.

Gretchen Weaver said...

The quilt looks like antique! I hope you're keeping this one for yourselves. Enjoy snuggling under it!

Astrid said...

That's one pretty quilt top! Love the blues together with the other colors, beautiful! Are you keeping it?

Jeanne said...

great job I really like this block and enjoyed your process ,this quilt is now on my to do list!!

Julie in GA said...

Your quilt looks great, and I'm impressed with how quickly it came together. It's so interesting to see how the fabric combinations change the look of the blocks. I'm loving reading your reasons to celebrate!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Old World is a beauty, Cathy! I love those warm and cozy colors. My husband is a big fan of old TV shows, too, and Twilight Zone is one of his favorites. He knew right away which episode you were talking about!

Mystic Quilter said...

Fantastic quilt Cathy, truly Old World with your use of the fabrics, it's beautiful.