Sunday, January 21, 2024

Progress On Some Applique Projects


The prompt for the first border is: "Add a border with repeat applique motifs to your centerpiece, with quarter-triangle style cornerstone blocks."

If you read any of my previous posts about this QAL you would know that there will be three improv quilts made in this series and our first prompt was to make three piles of fabrics to use in making.  I am using a little box of orange and lime green scraps as the base fabrics for all three quilts. Then for this one I am adding the color purple. 

So, my repeat applique motif is a butterfly. Remember this is improv, okay? And since my colors for this quilt are orange, lime green and purple my butterflies are made from some of those lime green scraps. 

I used needleturn applique for my center piece of Coneflowers but I did not think I wanted to use that method for little butterflies with point everywhere on them so I did turned edge applique with interfacing and blanket stitch. 

My polka dot border is 6 inches wide.   After I get the butterflies all appliqued in place I need to look for some of my longer needles I used when I did a lot of crazy quilting because I want to add a bullion stitch body to the butterflies and after that I will embroider some antennae in backstitch or running stitch. 


I am using two strands of a variegated purple and lime green embroidery thread. I will use perle #12 for the antennae and the bullion stitch bodies if I find my long needles. 

After the butterflies are finished I will work on my "quarter-triangle style cornerstone blocks".

One thing I have learned about applique is that I am not really very fond of all the prep work involved. 

And also you may remember that I have been working on emptying a bag and bin of rose and heart scraps. One of the quilts to come out of those scraps is a Dresden Fan.  I'm not sure how these little six inch blocks are all going to go together at this point. For right now I am just using scraps and making blocks and trying to empty out some scraps bags and bins.   I will probably be able to make more than one quilt from all those scraps but for right now I'm concentrating on this one. 

I have appliqued more blocks for my collection since my last post. 

More finished blocks but I have not removed pins yet. 

And more blocks are pinned and ready for applique. 

And sew on...




***
CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

Jan. 20 - I finished a good book - For All The World by Jean Grainger.  It is book one of a series called Cullen's Celtic Cabaret. I started on book 2 in the series A Beautiful Ferocity. I have read quite a variety of books written by Jean Grainger. I do a lot of reading when I wake up in the middle of the night and unfortunately reading this book did not help me get back to sleep. 

 

16 comments:

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Good books will do that to you! Your butterflies are adorable and perfect on your quilt. I have made many Dresden plate/fan blocks, but I cheat and sew them down by machine.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Good books will keep you not only up at night; but, also from completely chores. . . .I often think. . .just one more page. . .hah! I've been reading Liane Moray books--I've read three and have enjoyed each one. I hear you about the prep for applique; but, I enjoy the handwork. I like your improv very much and your Dresdens are sweet blocks.

Julierose said...

I love your little butterfly borders--and that blanket stitching is perfect--nice work Cathy...you are inspiring me to take mine out and get going on it--I kinda lost my sew-jo during the break...
hugs, Julierose

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The butterflies make a wonderful border for your flower center! I love how they look like they are flitting around. I'm not familiar with that author - will have to check her out!

Julie in GA said...

Your little butterflies look great around the border. What kind of interfacing did you use to them? Love the Dresden blocks too.

Katie said...

Your coneflowers are clearly beautiful - look at all the butterflies they've attracted! I like the mix of applique techniques. (Filing that away mentally for myself for later.) The butterflies are a perfect addition.

Hubblebird said...

I love the butterflies. I’m thinking of ladybirds for mine.

Robin said...

Your Bramble Blooms is amazing. All the punches of color are so energetic. The butterflies look really great and accent your center very well.

Helenchaffin said...

Your Bramble Blooms is coming along nicely,luv the touch of the butterfly's,I've got to catch up on mine!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the butterflies flitting all over the border. The stitching is just the perfect look for them. As a hand sewing challenged person, I am in admiration of the project.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your Dresden's are looking great!

Pamela Arbour said...

Your applique pieces are looking great. You really know how to use your fabric. I am looking forward to seeing the progress on them.

Nann said...

The dancing butterflies are a wonderful frame for the colorful flowers. Dresden Roses -- could be an actual china pattern.

gayle said...

Love those flitters all aflutter!

Vivian said...

Lovely work on Bramble Blooms and your Dresdens! In the end the scrappiness of the Dresdens will allow them to work together well. I had seen Audrey's announcement for the Bramble QAL but figured working that improv was beyond me right now. Of course, then I read the button on the post and that corrected me right away! I had wanted to do SAHRR with an applique block I had but know that they tend to do more pieced designs. Maybe I can combine the two and informally follow the "Bramble" prompts to do a SAHRR style project with my blocks. See, that's why you are my mentor, you connect me with the good stuff!!

audrey said...

Love those butterflies on your Bramble Blooms! So you in those bright colors.:)