Wednesday, January 17, 2024

It's A Top! Fish Net

It's a top!
Fish Net
40 x 56

You may or may not remember that last year I was given some fishy looking fabrics from a friend and I had a few of my own to add to the pile. Well, I made three different tops last year and cut pieces for two more tops. I started with the largest pieces with the largest fish and have worked my way through to the smaller fish and smaller pieces. 

For this one the fishy pieces were cut at 4.5 x 8.5. Then I added sides to those pieces that were cut 2.5 x 8.5. Then I put them together in a fish net (basket weave) layout.   I had that brown fabric that looked a little like a fish net and actually had just enough of it so I guess it was meant to be.  And it fits the theme in my sewing space this month to move UFOs forward - "Browns and Blues". 

And sew on...

*********
CELEBRATE! (my word of the year)

Jan. 16 - I received a box of brown and green scraps from a friend!


 

11 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Kudos to you for turning those fish into something a child will love. AND that they fit the theme of the month. (I have boxes of fabric ready to send to a comfort quilt maker but the weather hasn't cooperated with my taking it to the post office - hopefully next week - there is nothing nicer than getting unexpected fabric in the mail!)

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a fun quilt! Some kid is going to adore it. You took something and made it into a smile. Quilt Magic!

Chantal said...

Looks like fabric comes in faster than you can get it out. I don't blame people for giving you fabric, you create such wonderful quilts! Like this "Fish Net". Such a simple block but because of the prints, you turned it into a wonderful quilt. Love it! Enjoy the "new" scraps! ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is definitely the perfect background fabric for a Fishnet! It turned into a very cute quilt top. You're so good at combining different pieces like that into a quilt that will be loved!

Nann said...

All the elements come together. Do you have many fish prints left?

Kathleen said...

Absolutely love this one, and a great use of that background fabric !

Anonymous said...

I agree with the others who mentioned that that was the perfect background, and the name fits it perfectly. Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing.

Linda said...

Another fishy top, you’re right the brown fabric does look rather like fish net. Great gift of the green and brown scraps.

Pamela Arbour said...

This one is so darling. Not only can it bring comfort from cuddling, it will be such a conversation piece and bring a lot of enjoyment to everyone who sees it. You picked the perfect combo. (as always)

I sure hope your snow melts soon.

gayle said...

That's a great catch you've got there!

mangozz said...

Very cute quilt! You always have so many good ideas brewing.