Friday, January 26, 2024

It's A Finish! Diagonal Bars

It's a finish!
Diagonal Bars
65 x 85

This is one of my oldest UFOs. I won a May 2014 Block Lotto. I don't remember how many Diagonal Bars blocks I won that month. I think I might have won all of them in this quilt and just decided to add sashing to make it large enough for a twin sized donation quilt. 


I quilted it on my DSM (Brother PQ1500) with swirls in bright blue. 

This one finally made it to the top of the quilting queue because the theme in my sewing space this month to move UFOs forward is "Browns and Blues".  I used monthly themes last year and they worked pretty well so am using them again this month. 

I had a piece of wide backing that fit this quilt perfectly. And I had just enough of that blue and white fabric for the binding. So I guess it was all meant to be. 

And sew on...




*******

CELEBRATE! (My word of the year)

Jan. 25 - Speaking of Alycia - I won one of her recent giveaways and it arrived yesterday. On the right is the contents of a kit of Asian fabrics and template for making 12 inch butterfly blocks. And on the right is a few more Asian fabrics.  I do love Butterflies (almost as much as I love roses) so while I am celebrating I'm celebrating butterflies too. The strange thing is that I usually do not do much applique; however, it seems that now quite a few things on my long list of projects have applique in some form or other. I'm thinking this will be a new needle turn applique project. 





 

19 comments:

Missy’s Miracle Stitches said...

I just love your idea of writing down something you want to celebrate every day! I’m not good with journaling because I hate to hand write anything. I hurts my arm too much but I could certainly type notes on my iPad! Thank you!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Your choice of sashing and cornerstones really add to the geometric pattern of the blocks. Fabulous finish no matter how long it took.

Deb said...

Great finish there, and it looks intriguing even thou it is simple design. I try to journal and end up playing catch up with defeats the purpose. Have a great week sewing !

PaintedThread said...

What a fun design! Love the colors. A wonderful finish.

Jenny said...

That's a very striking quilt. Congratulations on your win.

Nann said...

I recognized those blocks right away. I remember that I had a heck of a time getting the correct size. Was that the year that Sophie designed a sampler for the Lotto blocks?

Hubblebird said...

That’s a lovely block. It reminds me of Morrocan tiles for some reason.

Linda Swanekamp said...

The blue quilt is like tiles. It is graphically striking. I love butterflies also. I collect butterfly fabric and try to figure out some quilts, not figured yet. I have especially love butterflies since my heart attack 2/7/18 because I got a new lease on life and try to appreciate every day.

Gretchen Weaver said...

This quilt is very pretty, the diagonals are a fun way to sew fence rows! Happy stitching!

Linda said...

Lovely blue and white quilt. Reminds me of the Greek flag. Your recent win looks interesting.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are neat blocks, Cathy! I don't think I've seen them before. I'm loving your all blue quilts! Congratulations on your win, too!

nestki said...

I've never seen this pattern before. I really like it!

Chantal said...

Looks like a simple block but with the sashing and cornerstones you added, it makes for a bright geometric quilt any teenager would like, I think. I love how some of the sashings are pieced in a "make-do" way. Great job! Congrats on your win. Lovely fabric in there. ;^)

scraphappy said...

Yay for finishes! The pattern is a fun one, and the sashing with the little corner squares makes for a great geometric pattern.

Gwyned Trefethen said...

What a great finish! You did your win justice.

Laura said...

I've never looked twice at a bar block...until now. Looks wonderful! :)

gayle said...

Oh, that's fun! The sashing works beautifully with those blocks! (madly making notes...)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a super cool quilt!!! I like the geometric look of it!!!
and yay!! glad the fabrics got there!

Jeanne said...

love this quilt...great job