Monday, January 15, 2024

It's A Finish! Orphan Fred

It's a finish! 
Orphan Fred
42 x 60

There's a lot of orphan blocks in this one from here, there and everywhere - old swapped blocks, test blocks, blocks from others. 

Last year I put together a lot of orphan block tops using various layouts - medallions, alternate blocks, sashings, row quilts, kitchen sink. For this sampler type quilt I added a column of 6 inch blocks to add to the width instead of adding borders. 

I quilted it very simply on my DSM with vertical lines. 

The back is a brown batik and for the binding I used a small chunk of a brown fabric. 

"Browns and Blues" is the theme this month in my sewing space to move UFOs forward so that is how Orphan Fred made it to the top of the quilting pile. 

Quilt #3 toward my donation quilt goal of "44 (or more) in '24"

And sew on...


**********
Celebrate! (my word for the year)

Jan. 14 - Cardinals playing in the snow. While doing the dishes yesterday I watched three cardinals playing in the snow. They really stand out against the very deep white snow. I could only get a pic of two of them together and not all three. 

I guess Cardinals don't mind cold temps or snow. 
We evidently have 22 inchds of snow on the ground here but it is a lot deeper in snow drifts.  And the current temperature is -16 with a wind chill of -38. 

This is from before the snow got deep! 




********
CELEBRATE!

January 15 - A sky full of twinkling stars at 2:30 a.m.

I was having a difficult time sleeping last night. Two years ago today, January 15, my granddaughter passed away. That has been on my mind lately. I do think of her every day several times a day remembering all the good times but it seems like this time of year I remember the day she was found in her bed permanently asleep with no good answer as to cause of death other than "probable cardiac arrhythmia".  January of 2022 is when my husband's brothers Pete and Marty and my sister's husband Tom passed away.  I miss a lot of family members but am thankful I have memories.

So, anyway, missing everyone and remembering everyone in the middle of the night I tried to read a book for awhile. Then I got up to get a drink of water. I looked out the kitchen window and the sky was full of stars. Lots of twinkling stars. One might have been a planet or a satellite but I am not all that  knowledgeable about things in the sky. I just know the sky was clear and full of twinkling stars. After I went back to bed I watched them from the window and remembered Kayla and Pete and Marty and Tom and a few other people until I fell asleep. And when I woke up this morning the twinkling stars were gone but the memories are still here. 
 

16 comments:

cspoonquilt said...

I Love 'Fred'! I love the way you approach orphan blocks. I feel a kinship with you in that way 'cause I think orphan blocks are lots of fun to play with and make quick work for a really nice charitable quilt, Great work ,as usual!

On a different note; I am so sorry for your loss. Anniversaries of loved one's deaths is really hard. but as you said focusing on the good memories with gratitude helps. take care. cw

Chantal said...

Great job on finishing another quilt. I like a brown quilt. They always look warmer to me.
You know what they say about cardinal birds: when you see one, it's a message from a loved one. Since they were 3, I guess three people were visiting you on the 14, reminding you that they are never that far. God bless. Sending prayers! ;^)

Julierose said...

I am always amazed at how you get all these orphan blocks to play so well together, Cathy! Nice work on Fred!
It's hard to remember those who've gone before--and yet you don't want to forget either...hope you can get a good sleep tonight hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Cherish the good memories. It is so hard to accept that someone so young is takes away.
I don't know which are stars and which are satellites either. When we were little we would never have imagined that extra things would be shining in the night sky.

Juliana said...

I'm glad you mentioned your granddaughter and the other family members who are gone. It's important to remember and to remind others about the loss of such special people. I still remember quite well when you wrote about this and about the quilts you made her friends. They are still remembering, too, and that's good. I hope you sleep better tonight.

Sharon M said...

So glad you caught the cardinals on film. How beautiful!
I, too, remember the passing of your granddaughter and the quilts you made in her memory. May your creative outlets (quilt making and gardening) continue to sustain you.
Could the cardinal sighting be some sort of sign? I always think so.
Sincerely,
Sharon M

MissPat said...

Sending you virtual hugs. I hope you aren't snowbound and have someone to dig you out. We have little snow, but it's cold (not as cold as you, however). Giver yourself some grace today.
Pat

Linda said...

Another Orphan block winner. Love your photos of the cardinals in the snow. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

CAthy, Your grace and fortitude in the face of unspeakable tragedy encourages us all. Your 44 in 24 I would like to adopt as my mantra for this year. Hugs, Sherry

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The cardinals in the snow are just beautiful, Cathy - great photo! I love Orphan Fred, too - very cozy and comforting. Thinking of you as you remember Kayla and the other special people you've lost. ❤️

Andrea said...

Such a beautiful and poignant post. May your memories always be vivid and clear. Sending love.

Nann said...

I can tell it’s that cold in Iowa because you’ve displayed the quilt inside! I heard cardinals singing today but didn’t see them.
Each anniversary will remind you of the good things as well as the not-as-good things. How wonderful to see the stars!

Laura said...

Beautiful post, Cathy! A wonderful way for us all to celebrate our loved ones! Twinkling stars are so beautiful and happy and full of promise! :)

Mystic Quilter said...

Orphan Fred is another goody from you Cathy and thanks for sharing the photo of the cardinals, beautiful little birds.
Gosh, has it really been two years now! The night sky with the stars and planets and a bright moon is magical, I often go out on our deck to see when I can't sleep just as you did, I'm so pleased that you slept once again with your memories of your loved ones, especially Kayla. I had a dear friend who passed away many years ago and she had a four year old grandaughter who would ask her mum where grandma had gone, Stacey told her that gran was now one of those beautiful stars up in the sky. Such a lovely thought for all of us.

Quiltdivajulie said...

For some unknown reason, the one photo that shows the rolling stone block near the bottom of the quilt answered one of my pending fabric pull dilemmas - it would be PERFECT - so thank you for that. Second - I like the Celebrate section you are adding at the end of each post. We miss seeing the sky full of stars (too much light pollution here) - I'm glad you saw them and felt their comfort. Oh, and I LOVE that photo of the cardinals in the snow (they were my mother's favorite bird).

mangozz said...

I also like the Celebrate section at the bottom of yours posts. It's always been difficult for me to recognize the good/positive and not focus so much on the negative, but it gets easier as time goes by - practice, practice! Beautiful photo of the cardinals in the snow. Do you feed the birds?