Thursday, January 11, 2024

It's A Finish! Orphan Cora

 

It's a finish!

Orphan Cora
42 x 42


Can you believe someone gave me that gorgeous Carpenter Star block?  I used it as the center of a medallion quilt.  All I had to do was add borders.  I quilted squiggly lines in the colored portions of the Carpenter Star. 

I had some 3 inch Nine Patches in the Parts Department that I used in the borders. I added them around the center in log cabin fashion.  I quilted along both sides of the seam lines in the borders. 



I pieced the back and finally used that puple/blue piece of fabric with kids and grandmas on it that has been around since the grandkids were little. 

This one made it to the top of the quilting pile because it fit the theme in my sewing room this month to move UFOs forward - "Blues and Browns"  and it is quilt #2 toward my donation quilt goal of
 "44 (or more) in '24".

And sew on...




****
CELEBRATE: (word of the year)

Jan. 10- The new area rug for my living room arrived! The Fedex delivery was delayed a day because of the snowstorm (10.8 inches). The delivery truck barely made it in and out of our driveway when they did deliver. Wheels were spinning, spinning, spinning. The farmer that usually plows out our driveway for us is ill so we are kind of snowed in. My car is low to the ground and would probably not make it out of the garage right now.   Well, anyway, celebrating a new area rug. I've been wanting a new one for a number of years and I finally decided to treat myself and go order one online. Can't wait to unroll the new one and lay it down. It's a big one. First I have to get the old one rolled up and put somewhere.  Then I need to wrestle the new one out of the plastic. And when I am able to get out of the driveway I need to go buy a new vacuum cleaner belt because it broke a couple of days ago. 
 

12 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Cora is beautiful! Lucky you to have been the recipient of that gorgeous Carpenter Star block, and you found the perfect use for it. I love the groups of 9-patch blocks scattered around the borders.

Julierose said...

Just a gorgeous finish on this orphan block quilt!! Love all the blues...
nice work hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

BEAUTIFUL - and especially with that deep snowy backdrop!

Chantal said...

I love the addition of the 9 patch blocks in this one. Great job! Enjoy the new carpet! ;^)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Orphan Cora is so pretty. I bet that Carpenter Star was a trial block to test the pattern or possibly the cutting die. It is one of my favorite blocks and I made several of them back in the 1980s.
So you were in the snow belt with that storm. We were in the slush belt.

Laura said...

Kudos to FedEx, USPS, and UPS! They really are heroes! Congrats on treating yourself to a beautiful new rug! :)

MissPat said...

Congratulations on the new area rug. Sometimes we just have to treat ourselves to something special. Orphan Cora is gorgeous and not an orphan at anymore.
Pat

Anonymous said...

I think Carpenter Stars are beautiful. And you have really spiced this one up further with those 9-patches in log cabin rounds. Just gorgeous!
Laura H.

Pamela Arbour said...

You did a great job with this one, as always. I especially like the 9-patches that you threw in the mix.

gayle said...

Cora is an absolute beauty! I love blues and purples together and Cora really rocks them!
Good luck with the rug! I hope you don't have to shift too much furniture...

Cindy said...

Orphan Cora is a true beauty!!!!! I love every little thing thing about it!

mangozz said...

Love that Cora medallion quilt - those are my kind of colors for sure! It would make a nice wall hanging too. How nice to get a brand new rug! I'm glad that the delivery truck made it to your door. Better to need a new belt for the vacuum cleaner and not the sewing machine!