Sunday, January 7, 2024

It's A Finish! Orphan Lester

It's a finish!
Orphan Lester
42 x 54



Last October when the theme in my sewing space was "Orphan Blocks" I made and named a bunch of orphan block tops.  Orphan Lester is made of a bunch of mostly brown six inch orphan blocks. I made some brown and cream QSTs as the alternating block. I like using QSTs as an alternate block because sometimes you can see Ohio Stars and sometimes you can see Economy Blocks as secondary patterns. 

I quilted it on the diagonals in brown thread on my DSM - Brother PQ1500. 

Most of the orphan blocks in this quilt came to me from others over the years. Some were four inch blocks swapped long ago that I framed to be six inch blocks. 

Backing and binding are the same fabric. 

My goal in the sewing space this month to move UFOs forward is "Blues and Browns" so that plus the fact that I had a backing for it is the reason this one rose to the top of the quilting pile.  And one of my goals for the year in re donation quilts is "44 (or more) in 2024".   So I will count this one as #1 toward that goal. 

And sew on...





*******
Celebrate (word of the year):
Jan. 6 - Honeycrisp apple with a bit of carmel dip. Yum.

 

18 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

The brown hourglass blocks were a good choice. They give eyes a place to rest so you can see the individual blocks. Happy stitching!

Helenchaffin said...

Lester is beautiful! I don't think my orphan blocks would blend well together ,they usually get chopped up & back into the scrappy pile 😄

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that is one way to get rid of extra blocks!

Chantal said...

Hourglass blocks are great as alternate blocks. Like you said, they change the look of the quilt entirely and they can make even the craziest of blocks play well together. Congrats on your first finish of the year. Good luck with your goal. ;^)

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Love your goal and Lester is the perfect start!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love that design with the hourglass blocks in between the orphans! It's such a great way to frame each individual block and tie everything together. Beautiful finish, Cathy!

Elle said...

Go Cathy Go! The hourglass alternate block brings the orphanage together as a family.

Wishing you a beautiful Sunday :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

That is a seriously ambitious goal - but I have no doubts you will meet and probably surpass it if life cooperates. Your scrappy is the best!!

Jenny said...

Lester is looking good!

scraphappy said...

Lester is a great start toward you goal. The quarter square triangles are a great setting choice. Congratulations on getting it done

Astrid said...

Congrats on the finish! Great way using those orphan blocks. All the best on your goals. Happy Scrappy New Year!

Mystic Quilter said...

Brilliant mix of blocks Cathy, it amazes me how you create so many beautiful quilts whilst dealing with the illness of your husband.
Top marks for your 6 January 'celebration'.

maggie fellow said...

the blocks look great together

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, it looks like a great sampler quilt. It is unified and beautiful, very fresh looking. Praying you both have a good day.

Pamela Arbour said...

Another winner! That quilt looks like it was planned instead of scrappy. It's just perfect and cozy. Thanks for mentioning your sewing machine. PQ1500 I have a Brother Innovis QC1000. I have had it in the repair shop for a couple of months now to have the lights replaced. They are still on order. I am wondering if I even care. Maybe I should buy something else. How long have you had yours and how it the lighting and how do you like it?

Linda said...

Lovely quilt,Cathy! Your intended total of 44 quilts to be donated in 2024 sounds amazing!

Nann said...

"Less"ter is definitely more in this lively quilt. Who says browns are boring?

Auntie Em said...

As someone already said, "that quilt looks more like it was planned instead of scrappy". Wonderful job of tying those blocks together with the hourglass blocks.