Saturday, August 19, 2023

Yellow Blocks

Yellow is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. 

So I dug into my yellow scrap bag and made 

10 inch Monkey Wrench Blocks...

...and 7.5 inch Monkey Wrench blocks and...

...and 5 inch Monkey Wrench blocks and...

...six inch Broken Dishes blocks and...

...four inch Broken Dishes blocks and...

9 inch 9 Patch Snowball block and 3 inch Snowballs (light corners to be combined somewhere down the road with light cornered nine patches) and...

...3x5 Switch Plates and 4 inch Windmills.  All of those blocks were additions to collections already started - some long long ago. 

Then I started something new...8 inch Wonky Windmills.  I think I'll use some gray backgrounds for these and are made stack and whack method with four rectangles 4.5 x 5 - two gray and two another color.   I thought these would be a good use for any 4.5 or 5 inch width scraps long enough to cut a couple of pieces to make a block.  Might have to invest in a few different gray backgrounds. 

Another new block...Violets.   This is an old Block Lotto pattern and I've been making them from crumbs now and then off and on for a couple of years but since I have so many other scraps crumbs has been a low priority. I do have a little pile of florals that has been accumulating for awhile. I'm thinking both the block and background will be mostly florals. I might throw in a few insect backgrounds just so there's some pollinators in the wild and crazy cottage garden. 

Ok..so these are Boo Boo Patches.  
I had a few longer 1.5 inch scraps. I was thinking I would make another 18 patch quilt consisting of 1.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles. When I quickly calculated what length of strip I needed to make the blocks I incorrectly multiplied 1.5 x 9 instead of 2.5 x 9. And then I cut my scraps to that length and I sewed a bunch of yellow and neutral strips together and when it came time to cut....well, hmmm, doesn't seem like there is enough of a strip to cut nine 2.5 inch pieces. I looked at the scribble in my notebook where I did my calculation and saw the error. Sheesh! So I decided to go with the flow and go ahead and cut 1.5 inch pieces and make the 18 patches anyway.   So...Boo Boo Patches!   

So I'll name the quilt
 Way Down Yonder in the Boo Boo Patch. 




 

17 comments:

Sara said...

What a cute collection of blocks this week! I've been making the Windmills too, but start with 4 charms (5x5). But they look pretty much the same as your. Someday I'm going to try making some big windmill blocks using a layer cake.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It looks like you had lots of fun with your yellows this week! Fun to see all the different scraps you have. I don't think those Boo boo blocks are a mistake at all - they're going to make a beautiful quilt!

Nann said...

Lots of sunshine! Thanks for the reminder about the Block Lotto violets. Good save on the mis-cuts. Use every piece!

Linda said...

Another busy week making yellow RSC blocks. More Monkey Wrenches too!

Chantal said...

You've kept your sewing machine busy this week again. I love your Way Down Yonder in the Boo Boo Patch. I wouldn't call it a mistake but a new version of an old block. I love the Violets too. Enjoy! ;^)

Julierose said...

Super fun name for those little squares "Boo Boo Patches is so hilarious!! They will end up making a fabulous quilt for you!! Of course, as you know, my favorites are those snow balls--!! the Block Lotto flowers are really pretty with all those neat florals...I just cannot seem to find any fabrics like those anymore--they are perfect for them!! Nice works in progress
Hugs, Julierose

maggie fellow said...

fun yellows and fun name

Jenny said...

Of course you had to start something new! The violets are pretty blocks, I like the idea of some insect fabric creeping in here and there as garden pollinators.

Deb A said...

love how you went with the boo boo! Good idea to add some pollinators to the flower blocks. =)

Helenchaffin said...

you've been on a roll! Lots of pretty yellow block varieties

gayle said...

I literally giggled at "the booboo patch"!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Wow you rocked the color yellow this week, Cathy. Fabulous job. You have so much variety going on in respect to project too. How fun!

Susie H said...

Whew! So many great yellow RSC blocks. I love the Wonky Windmills. They look great and will make a fun quilt down the road. The name of the quilt you'll be making with the Boo Boo blocks is hilarious! Great job!

Betty C said...

When you made the wonky windmills, did you have a lot of the gray left over?
The gray that would be the windmill part of the block? (the center?)

Jan said...

What a lovely collection of blocks!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Boo Boo Patches...Love it!

Laura said...

How can a person not be happy with all of this glorious sunshine! Nope...no boo boos here, only smiles! :)