Saturday, August 5, 2023

It's A Top!

Basket Weave
42 x 48
It's a top!

Yellow is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. I looked in my yellow scrap bag and saw just a few bits and pieces of this and that to use up this month.  I did have a set of Basket Weave pieces accumulated from some scrap processing in reds, yellows, browns and oranges just waiting for a fabric to weave them together and noticed a yellow striped piece of fabric shouting "me, me" so calculated how much I would need and there was a bit more than enough...surprise! surprise! 

I like what I call the Basket Weave block because you can use almost any size rectangle and that rectangle can consist of anything from squares, strings, four patches, etc.   Then you just need to figure out the length/width of rectangles for the sides.  In this case I used 3.5 x 6.5 center rectangles and 2 x 6.5 rectangles for the sides to equal a 6.5 unfinished block. 


And sew on...


 

14 comments:

Linda said...

Glad that piece of striped yellow fabric turned out large enough to sash your cheerful rectangles. Heart top, Cathy!

Nann said...

That yellow stripe is perfect! Quilting design serendipity is a wonderful thing.

Jennifer said...

you're doing great! I'm always amazed at how many tops you complete- and all the way, too, not just flimsies...
i've still been sewing some, but not as much lately. i lost my 30yo son to a motorcycle accident the end of june, so that's taken the wind out of my sails, so to speak... but piecing helps in the grief process, at least for me, and i suspect it does for you, too.

gayle said...

I love this bright beauty!
You are on such a roll that I can't keep up looking at all the pretties!

MissPat said...

I like this block because there's no seam matching until you sew the bigger blocks together. And I never thought about making the inside triangle from smaller pieces sewn together. Yet another idea for the overflowing to-do list.
Pat

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

A basket of Sunshine!!! Basket Weave is looking amazing, Cathy. Another quilt I want to create. I love everything you create. Have a great weekend.

Jenny said...

Thats a lovely sunshiny yellow fabric weaving all the colours together. But I'm wondering, do you have time to rest in between all this sewing? Guess you are going to tell me that sewing is your rest time!

Kathy S. said...

Glad that yellow scrap yelled at you from the bin. It knew where it was needed. Beautiful quilt top. But that yellow really makes it stand out from the rest. Quilt on!

Pamela Arbour said...

Another winner! I like the interest that the striped yellow gives to the quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Loooove it!!!!

Anonymous said...

So sorry, Jennifer! I’m glad piecing helps. I’m asking the Holy Spirit to wrap you in comfort and love. Laura Haynes

Anonymous said...

I need to utilize Basket Weave to bust through some donated bags of fabric. Thank you for including the dimensions that you used. Laura H.

Ann said...

I noticed the lovely yellow stripe right away. What a treat to have enough for the whole quilt. That occasionally happens to me and I feel lucky. Such a happy quilt. Thanks for the cutting dimensions. They will come in handy.

Chantal said...

I don't know how I got to skip this post, it's so bright! LOVE this one. The stripy yellow is perfect for such a design. Great job! ;^)