Friday, June 3, 2022

A Really Cool Flimsy


A Really Cool Flimsy! 
58 x 72

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC)  color of the month is blue - bright and dark- but I'm going to use all my shades of blue.   I dug into the blue box of scraps to sort them all out and found what I thought was a jelly roll someone had given me a few months ago. Well, it had only 20 and not 40 strips in it and after a little research I found out there are such things as junior jelly rolls.  ( I don't buy precuts). So I rounded  up 20 more of my own cool fabric bits and pieces to make this easy quilt top. 

    I mostly did strip piecing (5 width of fabric sewn together lengthwise and cut into 10.5 inch blocks) but some of the fabrics I added in were not long enough so some fabrics were cut into 10.5 inch lengths and sewn together for blocks. I don't usually like to strip piece or make fast and easy quilts  but that junior jelly roll was just begging to be used immediately.  And it will make a really cool donation quilt someday when I get it finished.

I had two different pieces of big print blues I've never figured out how to use so they became the side setting triangles. 

And it wasn't until I looked at this picture that I noticed a block orientation mistake. Oops!

And sew it goes...


 

19 comments:

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Love all the blues and on-point setting. Fabulous

cityquilter grace said...

it's pretty and an excellent use it up quilt...thanks for inspiring me!

Julie in GA said...

Beautiful scrappy blues! The large-scale prints are perfect for the setting triangles. I really had to search to find the block that is turned the wrong way.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is a cool quilt! I love all the fun blues you included in it. Great way to use up junior jelly roll!

Linda said...

A very pretty Cool Blue flimsy. Goodness, you put this together so quickly.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love it - especially the scrappy setting triangles. Those blues all play so well together (and here's to ALWAYS mixing stuff from your stash with a precut anything ... keeps it from being predictable and boring)

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love this blue one. It would be a perfect man's comfort quilt- sometimes those are the hardest to figure out.

swooze said...

Very nice. Took me a minute to see the issue. It blends nicely so no big deal!

Mystic Quilter said...

Definitely a cool flimsy, I love it! Always good to use what we have on hand. I normally give jelly rolls a miss but gave in the other day, this simple strip design would fit perfectly with it.

Cathy said...

Gorgeous, vibrant quilt! I plan to mix some of my blues for the RSC this month, too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a really cool quilt!!
I really like it set on point like that! gives it a whole new vibe!!!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Great quilt top! Nice way to use up your strips and big scale prints

quiltingbydawn said...

Looks great! I also like the on point layout! I didn't know there were mini jelly rolls either. I don't often buy precuts either. I have too much stash to cut up myself. 🤣

gayle said...

As oopses go, that's a pretty small one!

Deb A said...

What a fun quilt and that Oopsie is just an added bonus for someone to find!

maggie fellow said...

I like the quilt in blues

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is going to be one fabulous quilt when the time comes for it to be finished, Cathy!!!

Kat Scribner said...

That's a great flimsy, Cathy. Well done, as usual.

Rozz said...

Love the blues...great inspiration to use leftover strips.