Saturday, June 18, 2022

Blue Scraps Part III

Square in Square
3 inch blocks.

The centers are 2.5 inch squares. The sides are two 2.5 inch squares cut on the diagonal.  I think I forgot I was using white on black for the background and not black on white when I made this batch.  But it's all good.  (I'm also making a larger version of these blocks and those use the black and white backgrounds.)

These 8 patches are made with 2.5 x 3.5 rectangles.  So if a 2.5 or 3.5 width scrap is large enough for four rectangles it gets made into these blocks. And these blocks will get made into donation quilts at the end of the year.  That little coin strip off on the right side was made from any scraps left over that was less than a 3.5 inch square. 

Some of the 3.5 inch squares were made into Snowballs with light corners.  I have a lot of little 3 inch (finished) Nine Patches that will alternate with little Snowballs. 

If I had enough of a 3.5 inch scrap (6 inches) to cut four 1.5 inch pieces then I made some Switch Plate blocks. 

Bear Paws
6 inch finished.

With 2.5 inch scraps I make four HSTs (cut with Easy Angle ruler). I usually go to my squares box and pull out 4.5 inch squares to make the rest of the Paw. Looks like one Bear Paw needs surgery. These too will get made into donation quilts at year end. 


Windmills
8 inch blocks

The windmills can be made with 2.5 or 4.5 inch width scraps. There just needs to be enough of the scraps for four 2.5 x 4.5 inch rectangles. 




 

13 comments:

Linda said...

Another nice cache of blue blocks. Lovely.

Julierose said...

So many lovely blocks mounting up for future quilts!! I do love those "Chips"
[aka sq in a sq.]. Hope your weekend is a good one. hugs, Julierose

scraphappy said...

Bear's Paw may be sneaking onto my list of projects that just need to get made. Love the wonky clawed version.

Deb said...

so many blues! Great assortment of blocks! I get too scattered and jump on old and new projects. I did finish a blue round to complete a top tho!
Stay safe and sew on !

Sara said...

Not a boring block in the whole bunch! Great job using those blue scraps! The Square in a Square blocks are just such FUN!

Ivani said...

Great assortment of beautiful blue blocks, Cathy. Love your blocks.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Great scrappy blocks, Cathy! And I really love Jack and Jill from your previous post. I'm putting that one on my list!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many wonderful BLUE blocks, Cathy! My favorite set? I'm glad I don't have to choose.

gayle said...

I haven't sewn so much as a stitch this month (been visiting family) but hope to remedy that before the month is over. Even with a month's headstart I couldn't hope to keep up with you, you whirlwind you!

Jenny said...

Many thanks for giving the measurements of the pieces you cut to make these blocks, I certainly appreciate it. As usual you have stitched up a great bunch of blocks.

grammajudyb said...

Wow again! A myriad of blue scraps turned into a plethora of blue blocks! Fantastic!

Time To Quilt said...

Your blog is so inspiring! I need to choose a couple of block patterns and get started. Maybe I can keep up with the scraps as fast as they seem to multiply. Wishful thinking I know. :-)

Sandy Panagos said...

Your blues are lookin' good!