Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Wednesday Wandering

Seems like there should be more hours in a day this time of year.  I do love working outside in the gardens.   Seems like there's something new to see every day. But before you know it some flowers have come and gone before I've had time to take a photo. 

Herbaceous peonies are in bloom. Seems like the flowers are smaller this year. Maybe it is because we have not had much rain. 

I've had my peonies for a long time.  I have white ones...

...some with a light pink blush...

...some light pink ones...

...and some dark pink ones.  These I transplanted in a corner of the veggie garden about 6 years ago or so. I thought someday I would have an entire floral fence around the veggie garden but this is about as far as I got.   And I always think someday I'll get those round wire supports they have for peonies but I don't. I guess there's still a bunch of somedays to come. 

The Martagon (Turk's Cap) Lily blooms are starting to open up. It's difficult to get a photo since they are in shade most of the day. 



Some roses are starting to bud and open.  I am always glad to see roses.  The last several years the rabbits and deer have severely pruned my rose canes.  Then if I do get roses they open in time for the Japanese beetles to devour. Most of my roses are old fashioned or heirloom varieties and are scented. 

A long time ago a Wild Rose popped up back near the barn and I just let it grow there.  It's a big bush now and when in bloom it smells fantastic. Normally I pull out wild roses because they can be invasive. 

This one I transplanted about a month ago to this sunnier spot. I guess it is happy now.  Even though it is very short it has a bud.  



This white rose has had lots of flowers on it along some arching canes. I've enjoyed the scent and beauty every day when I walk along the garden path. But now that I've decided to take a photo there is only this rose open. 

Speaking of scents...I love Dianthus (Carnations, Pinks, Sweet William). Most have a scent.  I like to tuck them here, there and everywhere. I've grown all of my different perennials from seed. 



I almost harvested those golden oyster mushrooms on a log back near the barbed wire fence but then I spotted..."leaves of three let them be"...poison ivy! 

It has been so dry I wonder if that is why the Foxglove see to be shorter and have smaller flowers this year.  This patch is biennial foxglove but it reseeds itself so I usually have some plants there every year. 

This yellow Foxglove is a perennial.   And I have been spying bindweed in several of this week's photos. Yes, I'm behind on weeding the flower garden because most of my time has been spent the last few weeks getting the veggie garden planted as well as potting up most of my perennials I started this year. I want to keep them in little pots on the deck for awhile before I plant them into the gardens. Most of those are native wildflowers. 

I did harvest some strawberries a couple of days in a row and then I think a deer, squirrel or raccoon harvested some as they trampled through my strawberry patch. (I forgot to stick plastic forks here and there throughout the patch which seemed to stop them last year.  I still see some green strawberries so hopefully I'll beat the varmints to them when they ripen. 

And so it grows...

 

7 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I got some peony supports but they are still determined to droop and flop over after a heavy rain. Beautiful strawberries.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Boy, I wish I had a wee bit more land. I try to get a lot of flowers in my postage stamp space. I have had success with David Austin shrub roses- hardy and disease resistant. Thanks for the photo tour!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

As usual you have a great variety of blooms. A lot of hard work went into all of that seed planting and transplanting. We had a nice rain this morning which you may have had last night or earlier morning. I like Mother Nature to do my watering for me.

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

It's lovely to see your garden looking so happy and those strawberries! YUM!
Winter has arrived here and though we don't get snow, we get a lot of wind. Crazy wind.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a lush garden you must have and obviously planted and cared for with love. I have never before seen a Turk's Cap Lily, I've heard of them though, beautiful colour.

Angie said...

I know I say this all the time, but it's such a treat to see everything in your garden, because it's soooo different from what we can grow here in Louisiana! Having a garden full of roses that actually have scent must be heavenly. Thanks for sharing!!

Laura said...

I didn't get my early peonies staked before they bloomed, but the later ones are staked. We've had more rain than sunshine here, so I am not keeping up with the weeding at all!

Last year, I tried the plastic fork trick to keep out the turkeys. It didn't work. Ha, ha! :)