Sunday, April 9, 2023

Fran's Fancies in Bloom


Fran's Fancies in Bloom
(Grandmother's Flower Garden)
65 x 78

It's a finish!
It's hand quilted!


The garden started way back in July 2021. I received 15 flowers and hexie seeds for 15 more flowers from Nann who received them from Barb who received them from Fran who started the garden. I'm not sure when Fran started Fran's Fancies but most of the fabrics appear to be old 1960s or 1970s calicoes. But I'm no expert on dating fabrics. 

After I assembled 15 Fran's Fancy flowers to add to the 15 Fran made I appliqued them to 13.5 inch neutral floral backgrounds with blanket stitch and 2 strands of variegated embroidery threads.  I've had all 30 blocks in my Some Assembly Required (SAR) bin for awhile and decided to get them out and make a top last month and start the hand quilting.  (Last month the theme in my sewing space was 1930s and Grandmother's Flower Garden is a pattern from the 1930s). 



I hand quilted around the flowers with  ecru perle #12.  I then hand quilted inside the flowers with three strands of variegated embroidery threads.   Then for fun in the center of the flowers I tied in some yellow embroidery thread stamens. 



The binding is an off white floral. 

Oh, I almost forgot...I hand quilted in some flowers in between the Fran's Fancies.  I used 3 strands of and all different colors of variegated embroidery threads to do that. 


I used bleached muslin for the back so all that hand quilting would show up. 

Fran's Fancies are in bloom! 


 

22 comments:

Linda said...

So pretty, both in making the blocks and all the hand stitching. It really is lovely. I loved reading about the chain of sewers who passed the blocks along to you. Definitely a quilt to keep and treasure. I hope you keep a note with the quilt explaining it’s history. Those ladies certainly passed it to the right person to complete.💐

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well isn't that nice! and hand quilted - congratulations turned out great.

Little Penpen said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the different backgrounds you chose for the flowers. I love it!

Chantal said...

Wow! What a beautiful testimony to Fran you did by finishing her Flower Garden. I'm sure she appreciates all the work you've put in to finish her project. I love your quilting too. It looks great on both sides. Bravo! ;^)

Rose Marie said...

Oh my, what a beautiful treasure you now have! Fran would be so pleased with the quilt!

CathieJ said...

This quilt is gorgeous! I recognize at least one of the fabrics from the 1980s. I love that you finished a quilt that someone else started. The way that you quilted this is beautiful. I like the idea of muslin as a backing to showcase the quilting. Wonderful!

Angela said...

So wonderful to finish that gorgeous quilt!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I don't think I have seen the blocks appliqued on squares before and I like it better than the allover hexagons. You had just the right variety of background prints for it.

Vicki in MN said...

Funny how this quilt has made the rounds into many different hands. Congrats on getting it all done!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous quilt, congratulations on the finish!

Joni said...

What a pretty finish! I love your choices in stitches, threads, etc. The whole cloth design on the muslin is a sweet surprise.

Ivani said...

It is beautiful and the hand quilt is lovely, Cathy. Congrats on this beauty.

Sharon M said...

Beautiful!
Happy Easter, Cathy.
Sharon M

Anonymous said...

This quilt feels like it has been a group project! Looks so pretty! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

Kim said...

Oh what a beauty she is! All those sweet hexie flowers dancing on the different fabric blocks is a treasure. The quilting too, just so pretty. Another lovely finish!

MissPat said...

This quilt has made quite a journey. And such a lot work, but I like the setting and the extra flowers you quilted between the hexie flowers.
Pat

Deb A said...

Very nice! What a journey this quilt has taken.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Easter, Cathy. What a beauty this quilt is!!!

Nann said...

Late to the comment party -- but happy to see this finish! I forwarded the post to Fran (and Barb and Dorothy).

Quilter Kathy said...

That is spectacular! I love the story of this quilt that passed through so many quilter's hands! A treasure indeed!

Linda Swanekamp said...

A springtime beauty. The handstitching is amazing and gives the quilt a vintage look.

Cherie Moore said...

The purple quilting add so much…it’s beautiful. I think the addition of yellow ties in the flower center is a perfect addition. Like Wanda, I haven’t seen the GFG blocks appliquéd to squares before and I like them very much. Cheers to a many hands finish.