Sunday, April 23, 2023

The Last Hurrah

Chinese Coins 
made of selvages
41 x 60



For this one I tried to use mostly wider and bright selvages without much writing. 

And I had just enough of a black fabric with multicolor dots to use for sashing between the blocks. 


The Last Hurrah!

In my sewing room the theme for April has been Strings, Selvages, Crumbs and Orphans. I haven't even made it to the boxes of orphan blocks nor will I this month.  Sewing crumbs, strings and selvages together is pretty labor intensive and sure uses a lot of thread. And I haven't really even emptied that many bags or boxes of scraps - just mostly made shorter strings or selvages. Even though I have made nine comfort quilt tops this month from selvages, crumbs and strings I don't feel like I've accomplished much.  I'm tired of this month's theme now so moving forward a little early to May's "free range" theme. I'm allowed to do that because the monthly theme is my own game with my own rules.  So from now on through May I'm going to feel free to move about the sewing room AND the gardens. "Free range"!

So, this Chinese Coins quilt top (#9 for the month) is the Last Hurrah   last flimsy for April made of strings, selvages or crumbs. 


And sew on...


 

12 comments:

Chantal said...

You got nine quilts in one month?!! Bravo! (Standing up) BRAVO! Doing crumbs and string quilts does take a lot of time and I know this first hand, so I can understand how tired you must be after 9 quilts. I commend your devotion and persistence in using up all pieces. Have a great week doing whatever you want to do. ;^)

Vicki in MN said...

You have done well to do nine quilts from scraps/strings for the month. Enjoy your May month to do whatever-I like that theme!

mangozz said...

9 quilts from small pieces and you don't feel like you accomplished much this month? You are not giving yourself enough credit!

Linda said...

What a clever use of those wide, bright selvedges. Looking forward to seeing what projects in your sewing room catch your eye and call on you to finish.

Jenny said...

Just like your other readers, I'm amazed that you completed nine tops this month! And now this selvedge coin beauty. I stitch my selvedges onto a fabric base, is that what you do too? I couldnt be bothered using paper then ripping it away.

MissPat said...

You made nine comfort quilt tops from little tiny pieces and you don't feel like you've accomplished much? I've barely sewed a stitch (but then, I've hardly been home either). Have fun with "free range" month. And yes, the garden is definitely calling, even if the weather refuses to cooperate.
Pat

Anonymous said...

cathy, i'm always amazed at what you accomplish. i love what you do and am so glad you choose to share them with us. i don't have a blog but love reading yours. patti in florida (pleal@cfl.rr.com)

Allison said...

Wow! Step back and look again at what you have accomplished! Those quilts will be such a source of pleasure and comfort to their recipients.
I'm afraid scraps do have the capacity to stick around however many blocks we make from them - maybe there should be a new law of physics to describe this phenomenon? 😃

Cindy B said...

ok, how do you accomplish so much!!!!! What's your secret?? You are amazing!!! I can't do 9 quilts in a year!!!! Sure do enjoy your postings!!! Always inspiring!!!!

Nann said...

Hurrah is always the way to describe your quilts, Cathy. (Now, sez she with an evil chuckle, how far behind are you in the completions-per-new-starts game?)

The Joyful Quilter said...

That is one scrap type that I don't keep. You made really good use of yours, Cathy!

Laura said...

I really like your system of a theme per month, and yet, giving yourself the flexibility to have a free range month! Fun! I am enjoying time outside, too! Sometimes digging in the dirt, and sometimes just watching the birds! :)