Saturday, April 8, 2023

The Heart of the Matter

Purple is the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. Crumbs, Strings, Selvages and Orphans is my personal theme for the month. 

So I started my month with some purple crumbs and made a purple slab block with heart.  For me slabs are blocks made with mostly large crumbs with straight sides.  This is an old RSC project started back in 2021 and I only needed three more blocks for a small child's quilt.  Blocks are 12.5 inches unfinished. 

 After I made a purple one I made...

...a yellow one...

...and an orange one to complete my set of 12 blocks. 

Then I turned the 12.5 inch blocks into 14.5 inch blocks by adding 1.5 inch strips in the color of the block all around in Happy Block style.



Then I made a top.

Heartfelt
42.5 x 56.5 (unfinished)




 

17 comments:

MissPat said...

Wonderful! And to think that most quilter's just throw those crumbs away.
Pat

Julierose said...

Your "heart slab" blocks are just lovely--what a great idea to incorporate those hearts...nice work hugs, Julierose

Ivani said...

Love the heart on your slab blocks, Cathy. They add much more interest to the blocks. Well done!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

The hearts are a great addition to your slab blocks!

Nann said...

I like the spark that the hearts put in each block.

Elle said...

Love the hearts. Your ongoing symbol :-)

Linda said...

Love the hearts amongst the crumbs blocks. Putting them in different parts of the blocks is a lovely idea.

Chantal said...

I love the addition of a heart in the crumb blocks. It unites the blocks. Love the close-up pictures with butterflies, pink elephants, black cats, daffodils, and lemons. It's a fun quilt. Love it. ;^)

grammajudyb said...

What a fun little quilt! I remember the one you made in 2019. I thought it was a grand idea to put a heart in the middle of all that crumby-ness. This could be one of my favorite quilts. SEW SEW Cute!

Sara said...

What a cute idea! That scrappy quilt turned out so pretty!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Crumb blocks are fun to make and use in quilts, but you've made yours extra special with the heart centers! These turned into a beautiful quilt top, too!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE your Heartfelt quilt top, Cathy!!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Such a darling quilt you are working on , Cathy. I have an affection for string/ crumb quilts and love the heart in each. Happy Easter

Beth H said...

This is so good, I like the consistent block size, but the random placement of the heart!

Pamela Arbour said...

You had a great vision for that heart quilt. I love it. Of course, I love everything you make!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This one is so bright and happy - and I really like the name and how it ties into the design.

Kat said...

Very cute, Cathy. I love these colour-block scrum/slab quilts. They are so bright and cheerful. The orange block with with pink elephants is so cute.