Friday, April 21, 2023

Jots, Iotas, Smidgens, Whits and Orts

It's a top!
Made of Jots, Iotas, Smidgens, Whits and Orts
Some might even call them crumbs
59 x 72

If you've followed my blog you have probably seen me doing a little scrap processing over the years.  One of the last things I do with leftover strip after I make blocks with it is to cut squares or if there is less than a square I sew the pieces into strips by width that I always said would be made into a Chinese Coins quilt someday.  Over the years those little strips have filled up a little box so I decided it was time to sew them together. 

Pieces less than a square randomly sewn together into strips over the years and tossed into a box. Then the strips of same width were randomly sewn together into columns. And the columns were randomly sewn together into a top. 


This is the top's sweet spot! 

This was supposed to be a little longer but I had a difficult time squaring it up so lost a few inches in that process. I don't really have the tools or a big cutting mat so usually don't square up quilts but my columns were roughly between 73 and 75 inches long so I had an uneven edge at the bottom.  I still have more quilt tops to make with bits like this so with the next ones I will make the columns all an exact length before I sew them together. 

And this is where I put a little LOVE into the quilt.  And isn't it kind of strange how in all that randomness two different heart scraps would end up near that LOVE? Ah, the mysteries of the universe!! 

And sew on...





 

19 comments:

maggie fellow said...

even the little bits can make a fun quilt - with heart

Julie in GA said...

What a wonderful, fun quilt! I could spend hours exploring all the different fabrics.

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a beautiful, rich colored quilt! All those little dabs of deliciousness!

Julierose said...

I just really love this Chinese Coins strippy quilt--I have two strips on my design wall now waiting for "company" hahaha Hope your upcoming weekend is a good one hugs, Julierose

Paulette said...

What a wonderfully eclectic, scrappy quilt! "Sweet spot"...I love it! :)

Elle said...

Well dang Cathy, if you aren't THE miracle worker with scrap then one doesn't exist! I love love love this quilt (and no, I would never do it ;-)

Happy Friday to you!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Thats awesome!!!
No little bit feels unloved -they all get to shine in this top!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

There are a lot of hours sewing in that beauty! I love busy quilts, celebrating the fabric prints.

Nann said...

The fussy-cut LOVE is the perfect scrap to include!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Those crumbs take forever to sew together but they make such awesome quilts. I love your list of different names!

Elizabeth V Kelbaugh said...

Fabulous collage of colorful scraps.

Mystic Quilter said...

Fantastic! I have a box of very small pieces labelled Smidgens, a word used a lot where I lived as a youngster.

Linda said...

Marvellous! So pleased all those little scraps sewn into random strips have come together in such a wonderful colourful way. Delightful.... and you still have more for another quilt!

Chantal said...

I'm with Elle on this one. Wow! You know your way around scraps. ;^)

Mean Jean said...

WONDERFUL!!! That quilt would entertain my brain for hours.

Pamela Arbour said...

As always, I love what you do with your scraps and the patient process with which you make them into quilts!

mangozz said...

"Jots, Iotas, Smidgens, Whits and Orts" - I will have to look these up to see how similar they are. What a wonderful assortment of fabrics! I was wondering when you would assemble these Chinese Coins into quilts.

gayle said...

Love and more love!