Saturday, April 22, 2023

Warm And Cold Jots, Iotas, Smidgens, Whits and Orts

Two Flimsies
Each 41 x 60

(I had to hook them together  at bottom with a clothespin to keep them from blowing so much in the wind)

I blogged about a larger top yesterday that had all colors of strips of itty bits mixed together.   For a number of years I have been making little strips with leftover scraps less than a square.  And for a number of years I've been making blocks from scraps in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) color of the month. Well, those scraps leftover from scraps that were less than a square went into little strips that were all the same color and they then were stored in a separate little box from the all color little strips I used in the top yesterday. 

I think it was more difficult to use the little strips in all one color than it was to use the strips with colors all mixed up. I started out thinking I would make a larger quilt with the columns of strips in colors of the rainbow order.  Then it got to be too much thinking and math about how wide and long to make it, how many and how long were each color of strip...anyway, too much thinking and I just wanted to sew the strips together and make a top. 

Well, in the end no matter how much I tried to avoid it I did have to do a little bit of thinking and math just to sew a little box of  scrap strips together.  And I still have little strips left - blacks, pinks, whites, browns, aquas and a few strips of rainbow colors too. For now I'll set them aside to maybe use with orphan blocks one of these days. 


The warm colors - red, orange, yellow. 



I had very few orange scraps and more yellow than I thought I had. 


The cool colors - green, blue, violet.


I had very few violet scraps and more greens than blues. 

And sew on...






 

19 comments:

Julie in GA said...

These are both beautiful!

Julierose said...

these turned out beautifully!! Lovely scrappy quilts...nice work hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

I really liked the larger quilt but these two make my heart happy. I think I will cull my small scraps and start a leader ender project to eventually make something like this for myself! (And I am with you on preferring to sew than think hard or do math)

Chantal said...

A lovely way to put those tiny little pieces to good use. Well done. Love them both. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've been looking forward to seeing what you decided to do with your leftover scraps sewn into strips! These are gorgeous, Cathy. I love the flow of color!

Linda said...

Love seeing quilts in warm and cool colours - always so effective. Your flimsies are both great. Well done for puzzling all those scrappy strips into two tops, good exercise for those Little Grey Cells! And less in your box of strips too,

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I just love these! Such happy quilt tops! I love the red and yellow one and now I need to get back out my red and yellow Lemoyne stars and make something with them. But I love the cool tone one too.

Sara said...

It's just amazing how all those scraps together make such beautiful quilts. Great job!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Love your strippy scrap design!!! They're both fabulous!!!

Quilter Kathy said...

Gorgeous! I love them and the scrappy colourwork is fabulous!

Cathy said...

Oh my! It’s impossible to describe how much I love these - other than to say I’m going to have to “borrow” this idea!! xo

Louise SS said...

These are wonderful!

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilts! It always amazes me how pretty quilts can be with lots of little bits of leftover fabric.

Char said...

I love them, all that beautiful scrappy color!

Jenny said...

You come up with the most interesting ideas! Congratulations on two more luscious quilt tops.

nestki said...

Who knew that scrap strips could be so beautiful! They glow!

mangozz said...

Beautiful colorful quilts! You did a great job arranging the strips and colors! I think that would give me a headache too, especially since you and I don't have a design wall. Something like this would definitely be a big undertaking.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh my goodness! These are SEW wonderful, Cathy! I love them both!

Helenchaffin said...

beautiful quilts,sewing bits & pieces together for no rhythm or reason always makes for happy quilts