Friday, April 28, 2023

A Little Soul Searching

Little Soul Searching
It's a top!
42 x 60

Why is it called Soul Searching? The inspiration came from a quilt by that name in the book Making Quilts by Kathy Doughty. Her blocks were made with 2.5 inch pieces but mine are made with littler 1.5 inch pieces ---Little Soul Searching. 

I started making the 12 x 14 inch blocks last year when I was emptying out my 1.5 inch scrap bin.   I ended up with several blocks but not enough for a small comfort quilt. I like to make those roughly 40 x 60. 

The other day when I was looking at a few UFOs I noticed I only needed 3 more blocks and I could move this UFO to flimsy stage.   

I had my purple scraps out for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) so made a purple block. 

Then I noticed I could really use an orange block since I hadn't made one of those. But I had very few small orange scraps in the orange scrap bag so pulled those out and then supplemented those with some yellow scraps and mixed them up a bit for this block. 

Then I always seem to have a lot of blue scraps so I made a blue block and then there were 15 blocks and I was ready to make a top.



And so I did make a top. 

To be continued...and quilted...and sew on...




 

9 comments:

Nann said...

I recognize some of those blue scraps! It's fun to see the sun shining through a flimsy, highlighting the seam allowances.

Linda said...

Ooh I like this! So effective, each 1.5” scrap strip is shown up so clearly and, as always, you have some lovely different fabrics.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I made one of those with 1.5" strips too and two with the 2.5" strips. It's such a fun block to make, and easy. Someone is going to love that one!

Julierose said...

I just really love this one--so beautiful--i have that book and often have looked at that pattern and though--someday...Lovely work hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

All those little strips are so beautiful together. The quilt turned out really jewelry like. I love all the colors and values. It is a little treasure.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wow!!! that one is so cool! even as a little haha!! ALl those 1 1/2 inch strips!! what a lot of work!

Chantal said...

Oh! My! 1.5" strips! That's a lot of work involved in this one even though it is a simple pattern. It looks so cool with the sun shining through. Well done. ;^)

Quilter Kathy said...

Totally fabulous scrappy soul quilt! The backlit photo makes it look like a gorgeous stained glass window!

Jenny said...

I've made a Soul Searching quilt several years ago for our bed and it's one of my favourites. Yours with the narrower strips would have taken a lot of sewing. In her pattern, the designer suggested using shades of each colour, from light to dark in each block. I didn't like that idea and used hues of similar value, you seem to have done that too. This is a very striking quilt GOP, well done!