Tuesday, April 11, 2023

A String Top

Strings
It's a top!
60 x 80


I used a 10.5 inch paper foundation.  The center string was a consistent 2 inch strip (that I didn't always get aligned exactly in the middle). 


I used bright strings in all different widths and colors.

I don't cut strings or strips to use in a quilt like this. Around here strings just happen - the result of quilt back trimmings or yardage ends or wonky cuts. And every once in awhile they show up in my mailbox. 

The box of strings is not empty so stay tuned! This month in my sewing space is for strings, selvages, crumbs and orphan blocks. I doubt if I'll get to the orphan blocks! I've been able to do a little gardening in some beautiful weather so I'm not spending much time with my scraps.

And sew on...

 

6 comments:

Chantal said...

That's a lovely beginning in the digging of strings boxes. Do you store your strings by colours? Width? Mine are separated as light, dark, and bright and they are overflowing. I'm thinking to separated the brights into colours. I'm curious to know how you manage those scraps. ;^)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That top is so full of saturated color! Beautiful!
We are having good weather this week too, keep sending it our way. Next week sounds pretty chilly so this is the week to play outside.

Linda said...

Stunning! Couldn’t stop looking at it. So many things bring this top to life: the dramatic black diagonal strips creating the diamond pattern, the deep blues and purples and all the other super bright colours. Your strings bucket must be a delight to rummage through.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful color delight! It all works and is a fine finish!

Mystic Quilter said...

An exciting quilt! The mix of colour is just amazing it bursts out from the page, I love it!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I am very much liking your monthly theme approach - it surely seems to be working for you. I do love strings . . .