Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Wednesday Wandering

It's that time of year when I love to wander my garden paths as much as I love to quilt.  The cottage garden is a sea of blue early in the spring - full of scilla and little bees. 

And there's the fragrance of a few hyacinths here and there if I care to bend over. 


There's a shady area at the end of the garden near a dying peach tree and a hedgerow of wild mulberry trees that separate the garden from the field.  Last Autumn I planted a couple of different varieties of grape hyacinth hoping they will naturalize. Deer and rabbits don't seem to bother them. 

The differences between varieties are subtle. There's a big huge downed tree log I can sit on and pause for a minute to look at the cute little flowers.  A common name for Muscari is grape hyacinth but they are not a hyacinth at all. 

There's a little clump of grape hyacinth in the fairy garden under a miniature rose.  I have a difficult time keeping the fairy garden free of invasive saponaria. As you may or may not see - it is already taking over. 

The Virginia Bluebells are in bloom now.  Isn't it strange that a lot of the early spring flowers happen to be blue? 

And then there's the Narcissus in bloom. I have a few different varieties of those. Most are in the cottage garden.





Last Autumn along with the Grape Hyacinth I planted a couple of different varieties of miniature daffodils I hope will also naturalize in the shady area.  They are supposed to be scented but I haven't bent over that low to see if that is true. 

These come up in the grass in the front yard. 

And then there's the Tulips. These are species or wild Tulips. 

These are hybrid Tulips. I forget what varieties. I'm surprised they are in bloom. This is the second year for this tulip bed in my cutting garden. My husband bought me a few different types of tulips because he likes them. I know the squirrels and rabbits like them as much as he does so I never really have wanted to plant many tulips only to be disappointed when I have no blooms. 

I like the variegated foliage on these. You can see here and there some eaten leaves and buds of other tulips that won't bloom this year. I have this bed interplanted with dianthus so there will be blooms in here after tulips die back. Right now it looks like I need to pull out some velcro weed.  The weather until a couple of days ago has been unseasonably warm so it seems like some of the the early tulips were magically in bloom one day and gone the next. 


These are some free tulips we got one year from Thompson Cigar company. My husband used to smoke a cigar now and then back before he got cancer. I always thought Tulips was a strange thing for a cigar company to give away. When I see these in bloom every year it reminds me that I am thankful that my husband beat stage four oropharyngeal cancer oh so many years ago. And the really strange thing is that even though there are lots of squirrels that live in a tree near these tulips they are never dug up or eaten by squirrels or rabbits. But maybe it's because they are close to the back door of the house. 

Bloodroot



Fritillaria. I find it amazing that a flower could have a checkered pattern. 

Bleeding Heart. I also find it amazing that a flower could be shaped like a heart. 

In a corner of the veggie garden the rhubarb is about ready to harvest. 

My onions are planted.

The asparagus is up...

...and we harvest it every day. So far we have had it for dinner twice. If we get tired of eating it in a variety of ways we pickle it. The folks who used to share the harvest have either passed away or moved away. 

13 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your flowers look wonderful - my rhubarb is in its second year now and as usual it is struggling to do anything - just doesn't grow here well - if it fails I'm not planting it again this is the 3rd or 4th time I have tried. Never tried asparagus. Don't eat it a lot and hubby not at all.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fresh asparagus - yum! I always love your flower photos, too. I bet it's very enjoyable wandering around your property seeing what's in bloom!

Debbie said...

A beautiful stroll through your garden! I love pickled asparagus. Very envious as I look at my window and only see snow.

MissPat said...

Hurray for the return of Wandering Wednesday. So nice to see the arrival of spring blooms. I've been away again for 10 days, so I've probably missed most of the bulbs, although I did see the daffs before I left. I had those checkered fritillaria (called guinea hen flowers, I think), but they seem to have disappear. The red lily beetles attacked them every year, depleting their strength, I guess.
Pat

Kaja said...

Your garden is at the same stage as mine, give or take. My hyacinths are just finishing and the asparagus isn't up yet, but otherwise we have many of the same plants. Fortunately for me, English squirrels don't seem to think tulips are food.

Julierose said...

Such beautiful blues in your wanderings--I tried planting Fritillarias and it was an epic fail--I guess they are tough to grow--yours is so pretty...
My bleeding hearts are just starting to set flower--I do love them a lot.
Thanks for the virtual tour hugs, Julierose

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I haven't seen any Velcro weed yet but it sure is prolific when it starts. I have never seen checkered flower petals before. Isn't it great to have bulbs and perennials that just take care of themselves?
We had a big rain this afternoon and you probably had it a few hours before us. I looked out my kitchen window and I think the Hostas doubled in size since morning.

Julie in GA said...

It is always a treat to see what is blooming in your garden. I love all the different blue flowers, and the daffodils are a personal favorite. We are trying to grow rhubarb, but I don't know that it will survive the GA heat.

Beth H said...

Boy! That was just what the doctor ordered!
Thank you for the flower show! I learned a few things. I also have grape hyacinth. Didn't know it wasn't hyacinth!
I an a daffodil person (my native Iowan dad taught me to appreciate them) I need to get daffodils in my yard and garden again.
In Minnesota, we aren't quite there yet, but I am hoping to see splashes of color around the neighborhood soon.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh so gorgeous!!! the Fritillaria .... wow do those make a cool pattern!!!
So happy to see Spring really exists!!!

Nann said...

Same flowers here -- since we're on the same latitude as you. The landscaping guy tilled the vegetable patch and dug up my rhubarb! I was able to buy more rhubarb crowns and I told the contractor I'd deduct that from his bill. (He apologized.) We had asparagus in abundance in our garden in Maine. moved to North Dakota and didn't realize how much soil prep was involved--in Maine the soil was sandy (all that granite!), compared to dense clay in ND. Haven't tried asparagus since.

Linda said...

Your garden is just beautiful. So many different varieties, all stunning.

Allison said...

What a lovely garden to go for a wander. Here in the south of the UK our flowering plants are at similar stages. Daffodils are nearly over, our native Bluebells are just coming into flower. We have a very small garden but are fortunate enough to have an allotment for growing veg. This morning there was a light frost so we are glad the potato and onion beds are still covered with fleece.