Wednesday, April 26, 2023

What To Do? What To Do?

Someone recently gave me a gallon bag of 2 inch squares. She also included a couple of pieces of solids in the box of scraps.   I decided to see how a couple of Arkansas Crossroads blocks looked. Ok. That might make a nice adult sized donation quilt.  I will continue to make these blocks using warm color solids.  I've been sewing together squares as leaders/enders. I'm using mostly darker squares.

I also made a few of what I call "Checkered Past" blocks. Four of these waffle-y type blocks get sewn together and then all the blocks are sashed in a quilt.   I finished one like I'm talking about back in 2017. It was based on a vintage quilt I saw on Ebay and the seller called it Roman Stripe.  I thought this might be the way to use some of the lighter squares. 

And then I decided that right now that takes more background and sashing fabric than I want to use so will put it on hold for now.  

And then the idea for these 16 Patch blocks popped into my head. Hmmm...maybe... Let's try a few more.

Ok. Let's go with that.   More leader/enders!


And sew on...


Note: Blog comments usually come to my email inbox and then I reply back if you are not a "no reply" commenter which means your email addy is not attached to the comment ; however, that comment email notification feature does not seem to be working right now.   Please know that I do enjoy your comments but at this time I may not be able to reply with a thank you. 


Thanks for the visit. Have a wonderful day! 



 

10 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love the 16 patches. I was sortng a box of 2 /12 " donated squares this morning wondering what to do with them. You are always my inspiration!

Nann said...

Thanks for the Checkered Past design. I am confronting a box of CW repro scraps. (And I admit to some relief that those 2" squares were not from me. You have several enablers.)

Nann said...

P.S. The Arkansas Traveler blocks w/solids look Klein Meisje-inspired!

Linda said...

Love your Arkansas Crossroads blocks. The bright solids really create a great contrast with the dark 2” squares..

MissPat said...

I love the Arkansas Crossroads blocks and that last set of 16 patches that alternate lgiht and dark centers. Too many ideas floating around right now. Wanda Hansen also reported not getting email notifications yesterday. Dang blogger acting up again.
Pat

Julie in GA said...

You have come up great ways to use those 2" squares. The solids really pop against the dark squares in the Arkansas Traveler blocks, and the 16-patch blocks are a perfect choice for combining light and dark.

Cindy B said...

Love the Arkansas Traveler blocks! The solid really makes it pop!
Don't know that I have the patience to sew all those 2" square! Love your blog! Thanks for sharing!

Chantal said...

I too love your Arkansas Traveler Blocks. Checkered Past is lovely and I'm in love with your first quilt with yellow sashing. Wow! So many lovely prints in those little squares. Your last inspiration looks promising. Enjoy! ;^)

Cathy said...

testing comments to see if they are working now...Cathy

gayle said...

I'm currently working on a Dots And Dashes (from Quilted Twin's free patterns) that is like your Checkered Past blocks but on steroids. (If you need more ideas for 2" squares, I highly recommend checking out Quilted Twins website - but be sure to pack a lunch because there are zillions of free quilt patterns, all of which look like fun!)
For the Dots and Dashes, I'm cheating by using offcuts from the Scrappy Trips blocks I'm making. Instead of cutting the 2" strips to just the length I need for the block, I'm cutting them long for the strata and just using the first 6 cuts for the Trips blocks. The leftovers get used for the 5, 7, or 9 squares-strips by adding or subtracting from whatever I've got. Lazy AND clever, if I do say so myself.