Sunday, August 27, 2017

Checkered Past is Finished!

 

Checkered Past
72 x 84
Hand quilted

It's finished! 


I was inspired by a vintage quilt I saw on Ebay that was called a Roman Stripe. 




I started this in 2014 as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project. I made the little 5 inch blocks from 1.5 inch squares in the color of the month and 1.5 inch strips of muslin. 


The blocks were then sewn into 10 inch squares and sashed. 


I hand quilted in yellow and black perle #8 going in different directions. The red cornerstones were quilted in red. And hey...it looks like I forgot to finish that row of muslin in the bottom right.   Sheesh! 

For the backing I used another checkered print. And as you can see the binding is a solid red.  I thought I put aside a piece of that red with roses cornerstone fabric; however, I can't find it.  I'm sure it will turn up today now that I've finished the quilt. 

(Not sure if the Finish-Along is still active or not but my goals are still goals)

I definitely won't be hand quilting today on this but I do have some other hand work projects  I will be working on.    Slow Sunday Stitching at Kathy's Quilts.

Lots of scraps were used in the making of this quilt so also linking up to  

23 comments:

Ann said...

Oh, I love this back with your Checkered Past quilt. Congratulations on a great finish.

The Cozy Quilter said...

What a great name for your quilt!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a beautiful one, Cathy! I enjoyed the close-up shots of the tiny pieces and your quilting!

scraphappy said...

The hand quilting is perfect. Love the scrappy blocks. Always fun to see RSC projects getting finished!

gayle said...

It's amazing what a big splashy graphic effect you get with such a simple block! I love everything about it - and that yellow sashing is the perfect touch. (And I'll bet that red print is hiding somewhere close by, snickering quietly...)

Linda said...

Love your quilt and all the hand quilting. What a great way to use all those scraps in a Rainbow Challenge.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You always come up with such great names for your quilts. I really like this one.

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Quiltblocksandmore said...

Great quilt! I especially love the quilting. It's a good choice.

cityquilter grace said...

that is one awesome scrappy quilt...congrats on the finish!

Janie said...

Your 'Checkered Past' is beautiful, congratulations.
The hand quilting looks just right.
Take care of yourself, we don't want to be deprived of such
great inspiration!

Kate said...

Congrats on a beautiful finish!

margaret said...

what a wonderful way to use scraps love that it is hand quilted too

Anne Ida said...

It turned out wonderful! Congratulations on a fabulous finish!

Julierose said...

And yet another gorgeous finish for you--congrats!! I love this pattern...hugs, Julierose

mangozz said...

I love the names you come up with for your quilts! I've never named any of mine. Maybe I should start doing that. Congrats on another great finish!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh My!!! THat is just amazing!!! Love all the colors in it!!

---"Love" said...

Very unusual, and I love it! You continue to amaze me with your ideas and your speed! ---"Love"

Karen in Breezy Point said...

What a fun pattern! I love how you quilted it too--congrats on an awesome finish!

CathieJ said...

Oh my goodness, Checkered Past is beautiful. There are so many different patterns that can be seen.

audrey said...

This is a fabulous finish! The stitching is the icing on the cake.:)

Nann said...

Oh, what a super-duper quilt! Love the waffle stamps blocks and the big-stitch quilting.

Carol said...

This is a neat pattern. It's cool you created it after seeing the vintage quilt. Good job!

Ella said...

The quilt, especially the hand quilting, is lovely! Thank you for sharing it.