Saturday, April 1, 2023

April Is for Crumbs, Strings, Selvages and Orphans

The April theme in my little sewing space is Crumbs, Strings, Selvages and Orphans.  

I've tried a monthly theme this year in order to move my long list of UFOs forward.  The last three months I tried to finish as many quilts as I could that fit the theme. I also tried to move partial and complete block sets forward to flimsy stage.   This month I think I will concentrate more on how many boxes and bags I can empty. 

I started out today with making 10 inch finished string blocks with black centers. I have been using paper foundations and old polyester thread. When the covid pandemic hit I had a difficult time getting thread and my husband picked up some packages of  polyester thread for me at the Dollar Store to use until I could get the cotton I usually use.  I used the white and gray a long time ago but never did use the black.    I made a set of 24 for a child sized quilt but that didn't make a dent in the boxes of strings so I'll go on and make 24 more for this set. Forty-eight blocks will make a nice 60 x 80 quilt.

I have three small boxes of strings to use. I'll use the longer ones first. As they get shorter and shorter I move them into different box.   Then I'll make a quilt with shorter strings. 

I will trim and remove the papers later when I watch TV with hubby. 

And sew on...

 

12 comments:

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

These string blocks will make a fabulously bright and happy quilt. Great use for the poly thread too.

Chantal said...

I suddenly have the urge to play with strings. Off I go! Thanks for the inspiration. ;^)

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

ooh laa laa! I am so looking forward to all the wonderful quilts you will make! You're on a roll!! :)

audrey said...

I'm always so curious how you manage to work though so many projects all at the same time. Very inspiring to hear about your systems and goals!

Linda said...

That’s a great box of colourful interesting strings you’re working with. They will make a super big quilt. So now I’m wondering where the shorter strings will lead you.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, THIS is going to be a fun month!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I think it is my kind of month! All those wonderful color strings.

Mystic Quilter said...

You now have me thinking about a quilt later this year using my box of left over different width strips. It's amazing what we uncover going through our scraps.

Beth H said...

There has to be a joke somewhere in the month for crumbs and orphans. I haven't thought of one yet...I have a month.
I am loving how much you are accomplishing by staying laser focused on a theme and chewing through the accumulation of scraps

Astrid said...

All those yummy strings! It's going to be a fun month!

gayle said...

Strings! That's going to be fabulous!
My sister-in-law dropped by yesterday and told me she'd taken a tuffet class at the local quilt shop - she'd saved her scraps for me and snagged someone else's scraps as well. Welcome additions to my own string collection!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Great theme for the month!!! Good luck!