Friday, July 9, 2021

Grandmother's Flower Garden Is Growing

Back in February Nann (With Strings Attached) sent me some Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks with a card and handwritten note:

Cathy, 
You are the one quilt maker I know that is likely to make something out of them. The hexies/flowers were among the projects that Fran D gave to Barb-the-quilter who gave them to me. And now they are yours. Have fun!
Nann

 How nice to have someone thinking of me once in awhile! Not one to disappoint I thought I should at some point work on them.  "Some point" is now. 

There were fifteen flowers already made...  

...and there was a mumble jumble of pieces and parts to sort through. I found enough pieces for fifteen more flowers, a couple of small pieces of small fabric not yet cut up, some odds and ends of different hexies, a hexie template and some hexie papers that look like they were cut from brown paper bags. 

So now I have started piecing in the evenings after dinner since it is too hot to hand quilt in a house without air conditioning.  I have now finished three flowers. 

At first I didn't realize there were pieces for so many more flowers. I was going to applique the blocks to a background fabric and make a small table runner. But now that I have analyzed everything I think there will be enough flowers for a lap quilt. So I will probably add the traditional white pieces between flowers to join them together. Or will I? First I need to finish the flowers and as Nann requested...have fun!

Grandmother's Flower Garden is growing!



 

14 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Those are very pretty Grandmother's Flower Garden blocks! How sweet of Nann to send them to you. I'm sure you will make something wonderful with them.

Shami Immanuel said...

The quilt is growing nicely. The colours of the hexagons are pleasing.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

These are SO SO pretty!! I am glad that you have brought them to life!

grammajudyb said...

Hexies are a great lap project when it’s too hot to be covered in a quilt! I have a Grandmother’s Flower Garden quilt from my grandmother! It’s a treasure!

Nann said...

I'm happy to see these flowers in bloom!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What beautiful blocks and love the fabrics you are using. I look forward to seeing your progress on this beauty.

Linda said...

I loved reading the chain of how the Grandmother’s Garden blocks and parts were passed along to you. Definitely landed with the right person. I’ve never made any of these hand stitched hexie flowers but they look great fun. Enjoy playing with them.🌺

Rebecca Grace said...

I love how this project has passed through the skilled hands of several different makers before ending up with you! I look forward to seeing your progress with it.

JCH said...

Just putting the binding on my GFG that I started in the 80's! After getting it quilted, I really like it and don't know why I left it. Yours is going to be very pretty-nice colors.

Quilter Kathy said...

Oh how wonderful! I'm so glad the project arrived on your door step!It's the perfect summer evening activity!

Astrid said...

Beautiful Grandmother's Garden blocks! A lap quilt size would be so nice. Looking forward to see progress.
Have a great weekend!

The Joyful Quilter said...

That's going to be a very sweet quilt, Cathy. Happy stitching!

Pamela Arbour said...

Oh it is so nice to have a story with the fabrics and quilt. It will be lovely. Thanks for sharing.

QuiltGranma said...

Such a great story. Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.