Thursday, July 29, 2021

This, That, And The Other Things


I cleaned up the leftovers from making the Coin Toss top the other day.  I cut the pieces I could into 3 inch squares and the other pieces less than a square were sewn into several strips. If I had 8 squares of the same color I made Hollow Nine Patches otherwise I put the squares in my Squares Bin. 

I made some pineapples and apples from 1.5 inch squares which was one of my goals toward my Asymmetry/Tea Towel Challenge. 

I assembled all of the sashing and cornerstone parts for Diagonal Bars blocks  I won in a 2014 Block Lotto.  I'm not going to put them in with the other block sets in my "Some Assembly Required" box. I'm going to try to get the top assembled in August. 

And I made a couple of "before I forget" blocks. I ran across a piece of Christmas fabric in with my scraps. I was too lazy to unstack my boxes to get down to the little box of Christmas fabric just to put this FQ into it. So I decided to use it. How about some Christmas Cactus Pots? I do love a play on words. The Cactus Pot block made in Christmas fabrics = Christmas Cactus! 

And also while I was thinking about it...I gathered some 3 inch nine patches from a big bin of the little cuties. I only picked out ones that had dark corners and center  and did not have a neutral for the other four squares. 

I tried them out in some Path and Stiles blocks. Ok. I like them. I'll carry on. 

And that brings me to a box of orphan blocks...

...and this box of orphan blocks. I've kind of sorted them into different groups of blocks I think would look good together. In August I am going to see how many 40 x 60 donation quilt tops I can get made. And hopefully I will be able to remove two empty boxes from the sewing space. 

My OMG (One Monthly Goal) for August is to assemble at least one top from those orphans. I'll give myself a smiley face, a big star and bonus points for any more than one top!


I thought I had better declare my August goal now because in a day or so I'm going to be gone for over a week of camping with some of my husband's family - a mini family reunion. 


 

15 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

whole lotta sewing fun going on at your house! all very nice...

Linda said...

Oooh- looking forward to seeing what you create during August. I always love the donation quilts you create from your varied orphan blocks.🥰

gayle said...

Oh, golly! Such good stuff you've got going on!
It's all fun, but those Paths & Stiles blocks have me practically swooning! That's a new one on me, and now I'm scribbling on the back of an envelope...

MissPat said...

I'm dizzy just watching all the different blocks and projects you have in the works.
Pat

QuiltGranma said...

love all those blocks!

Gretchen Weaver said...

You are always so good at sewing up your scraps. Have a wonderful camping family visit!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Awesome other things, Cathy!! :o))

---"Love" said...

I'll be watching for finishes on all those blocks! ---"Love"

Marly said...

I like the Path and Stiles blocks; I've never seen them before, but I'll be making them soon too.
Enjoy your camping trip; just the thing to stock up on energy ready to find homes for the orphan blocks when you return.

Ann said...

Focusing on tops and blocks during the hottest part of the summer is a good idea. And I'm always amazed at the number of projects you can keep going. Have a great time camping with your DH and the family.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Sew many cute blocks. I am loving those apples. Looking forward to seeing your finished tops . Have a great weekend.

grammajudyb said...

Whatever happens from all that scrappy goodness is going to be fabulous. Hope you had a great mini family reunion. And Happy Sewing for August!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

The fruit blocks jumped out at me and said - Way cool!!!

Marsha Cooper said...

Wow, you can make so many quilts with all those orphan squares!

Connie said...

Wow! What colorful quilts you'll made with all of those blocks. I see lots of happy quilting hours in your future :)