In our quilts we have "various tendencies towards either symmetry or asymmetry, so my challenge to you is to pick whichever of these is furthest from your comfort zone and see what you can do."
Well, my tendency is to make symmetrical quilts so I guess the challenge for me is to make an asymmetrical quilt. Aha! I have just the UFO to work on for that challenge! Back in 2014 Sophie (of Sophie Junction and Block Lotto both now inactive) issued a challenge to use a tea towel to make a quilt. I never completed the challenge. I got frustrated with where my quilt was going right from the start and threw everything into a box. Time for a resurrection of this project for the AHIQ Challenge.
What's in the box?
A tea towel with some fruit basket and fruit jar blocks attached to it.
Spread out it last looked like this. Feel free to insert an 'ewwwww" or "ick" here if you wish. I sure did. I did not like where the quilt was going. Why? I don't think the quilt was meant to be symmetrical! I made a lot of different pieces and parts for the Tea Towel quilt and I don't think they were meant to be lined up next to each other. It's not easy for me to make an asymmetrical quilt without a design wall or floor or bed where I can arrange and rearrange bits and pieces but I'm going to try to find a little bit of space where I can do that when I get most of the rest of the pieces finished for this quilt.
The bits and pieces I have so far other than those baskets and jars?
...embroidered fruits for every day of the week; some bordered and some not...
...a little panel of words and letters for more words. But I don't like how the words look. I wish I had used one consistent background fabric when making the letters. So I won't use this. Well, maybe in the pieced back?
And there is a couple of bags of cherry scraps left over from making I Love Cherry Pie (Flowering Snowball) back in 2015 and Hi! Ho! Cherrio ! (X+) back in 2012.
A couple more fruit baskets and fruit jars...
...some little 3 inch 9 patches and odds and ends to make more...
...and some fruity fabrics, fruity squares from some old swaps and some gingham.
To start with my plan is to:
Rip apart what I have done so far
Border all of the embroidered pieces
Make pineapple and apple blocks with 1.5 inch squares like the strawberries
Make new word blocks
Make more nine patch filler blocks and maybe some fruity HSTs.
Then maybe after that I will have enough parts to lay them out somewhere and dither for awhile.