It's a top!
65 x 80
Back in June I blogged about some 3 inch width of scraps I came across while sorting through boxes of scraps that came from a clean up of my cutting mat over the years. I used to put leftover scraps from a project into bins of scraps sorted by width but I never did have a 3 inch width scrap bin so those pieces usually went into a box with other odd sizes of scraps.
So, anyway, I also blogged that I would make a Coin quilt and so I have. Well, it's not actually a quilt yet but it's much closer to being one than the last time I blogged about those scraps.
I like making scrap quilts from actual scraps because I usually have a difficult time figuring out what fabrics to use in a scrappy looking quilt. With actual scraps all of the decisions are made for me. I like it when scraps happen!
I didn't have quite enough 3 inch width scraps in my little starter box for this size of quilt so I dug through an overflowing box of quilt back trimmings for the rest of the of the pieces.
I sewed two fabrics together and sewed up a bunch of strip sets which were then cut into 5.5 inch lengths and sewn together into blocks of varying lengths and then those blocks were sewn into columns. The columns are joined with sashing that consists of more 3 x 5.5 pieces.
I was surprised by the number of aqua and orange fabrics in the scraps. I didn't even realize I used that much of either color but I can remember most of the quilts that used those fabrics on the front or the back.
Like usual (and like grandma) I sewed everything together randomly. A comfort quilt doesn't get hung on a wall so I usually don't dither away my time arranging and rearranging my blocks. I know no arrangement would probably ever satisfy me. And with that said...now that I see it hanging on the line it appears to me that there is a purple "hole" in the middle - two purple fabrics without much contrast. And it is kind of weird that the two six patches of googly-eyed monsters and solid blue ended up in the same place in two different columns. And..