It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks with lots going on (I won't bore you with all the details) but I'm hoping now life can get back to normal and I can get back to my quilting and gardening and life of a hermit.
It's been too hot the last couple of days to work out in the gardens so I worked in the sewing room. This month I wanted to work on orphan blocks. So far I have made four donation quilt tops all about 40 x 60 but I have miles of orphans to go before I sleep.
For this one I used, as you can see, mostly blue blocks.
The blue nine patches came in a box of goodies a few years ago from a quilty friend. The kaleidoscope blocks were left overs from a Kaleidoscope of Butterflies quilt I made long ago. Some of the other blocks are odds and ends I sometimes make when I have bits and pieces left over from making a quilt.
At the top are kaleidoscope blocks that I tried out with black and white backgrounds and did not like. There's a pig from friend Gayle, a Depression block leftover from a quilt I gave as a wedding present. I made a house and decided I did not want to build any more houses in that style. There's some little four inch I Spy blocks left over from a quilt I made for a new grand nephew and a wonky log cabin leftover from making a donation quilt in 2017 that went to Wrap-A-Smile. Years later I saw a cute little boy in a foreign country wrapped in that quilt who had undergone a surgical procedure.
Pretty in Pink
You guessed it! I used mostly pink blocks in this one.
The Rolling Stone blocks were left over from two different quilts. The Drunkard's Path blocks came to me in pieces from a friend a couple of years ago. The Posies were supposed to be for a swap but before I sent them I realized I had cut my center pieces a little too big. Rather than rip and remake I just threw the blocks in the orphanage and made new ones for the swap.
I made the Rosebud blocks on the top for a six inch block swap but they didn't turn out at six inches so I kept them and made a different six inch block for the swap. The Basket blocks were swapped and left over after I made a quilt.
I made my granddaughters aprons when they were four years old with the fabric with the little girls cooking in the kitchen. They also got Easy Bake Ovens that year and I think after that year the ovens were discontinued. I know I made the granddaughters something with Strawberry Shortcake fabric-maybe pillowcases. I think my daughter still has her Strawberry Shortcake doll! I wonder if it still smells like strawberries.
The bottom row consists of swapped Country Nine Patch blocks left over after I made a quilt a long time ago.
For this one I pulled out blocks with black backgrounds and warm colors.
I made some Rolling Nine Patch blocks for a swap that was later cancelled. The Four Patches came from the Parts Department.
I went crazy filling Jars a few years ago. I made several Jar quilts but still had some left in the pantry.
More Jars in a different size. The 25 patch HST blocks were made from waste triangles a long time ago. Time to use them! I cut apart a 16 patch block to make the row with pumpkins and sunflowers alternating with orange solid.
And finally here's a top made with purple and yellow odds and ends.
A friends sent me the purple/purple Ohio Stars in a box of goodies long ago. A different friend sent me the big Shoofly block. I spy a couple more Country Nine Patch blocks that were left over.
A couple of really scrappy kaleidoscope blocks I made from scraps pieces left after making a Kaleidoscope quilt. I had the blue and yellow star block left over from a blue and yellow sampler I made eons ago. The HSTs and most of the other four inch blocks came from a bin of different four inch blocks I have filled up over the years.
The Birds in the Air blocks were won in a block Lotto and left over after I made quilt top a few years ago that is still in the to-be-quilted pile. A few of those particular blocks had the points cut off so I put them in the orphan box. It's not really all that noticeable in an orphan block quilt.
I think this meets a bunch of challenges!
This month the Stashbusters challenge is to use orphan blocks and parts.
The latest AHIQ challenge is to make an asymmetrical quilt because I normally tend to make symmetrical quilts.
I made it my OMG (One Monthly Goal) to make at least one orphan block top this month. Mission accomplished so at the end of the month I will link up with the OMG linky party at Elm Street Quilts.
I'm hoping to put a couple more orphan block tops together before month end. Stay tuned!