Friday, November 10, 2023

It's a Finish! Roses in the Cabin

It's a finish!
Roses in the Cabin
64 x 80
Big stitch hand quilted


I made 16 inch log cabin blocks. Some have 4.5 inch centers and some have 6.5 inch centers cut from scraps. If the center was 4.5 inch I added a frame of 1.5 inch scraps to bring it up to 6.5 inches. Then the next rounds were 2 inch, 2.5 inch and 2 inch strips.  Some of the strips were pieced together with different fabrics (make do). 

I quilted it very simply with big stitches in red, black and ecru perle cotton #12. 

I had barely started the hand quilting on this quilt when my husband John was admitted to the hospital. I put my quilt, hoop and tin of supplies in a big black garbage bag with ties so I could sling it over my shoulder to easily carry it into the hospital.  I did the big stitching for a week during most of the 12 hours I was "visiting" John with time outs for eating and drinking something from my bag of snacks. Every once in awhile I read a book on my Kindle.  I received a few questions from health care workers like "is that a quilt?" The most frequently asked question was "how long does it take you to make a quilt?". My answer was "I don't know. All quilts are different and the time makes no difference to me so I have never kept track."   (I did finish all the hand quilting the week John was in the hospital). 

For the binding I used different rose prints on black. 


"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December." - J.M. Barrie

The backing has two of my favorite things...roses and valentines.

I've had this fabric for a long long time. I finally found the perfect quilt for it and there was just enough of it so I guess it was meant to be. 



 

16 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

This is so pretty! I didn't notice the difference in the center sizes till you mentioned it,had to go back & take a double look😄 I'm always skiddish of using white in my quilts but when I see others such as yours I luv it lol

Nann said...

Another rose garden to your credit! Yes, non-quilters so often ask how long it takes. I often say that I begin at the beginning and end at the end and I don't keep track of the time. Glad John is doing better -- hope for continued positive updates.

gayle said...

Your garden always has the best roses!

Quilting Babcia said...

Another gorgeous garden of everblooming roses! So good to hear that John is improving and able to recover at home. The very best place.

Julierose said...

This is really a beautiful quilt--lovely finish on the back too, Cathy. I love roses and hearts, too; I've somehow never made a rose quilt--,,hmmm that may be a good reason to begin collecting some rose fabrics...my year of "no buy" is almost over now...hugs, Julierose

Linda said...

The backing was definitely being kept in your stash for exactly this beautiful quilt. I hope you are keeping it for yourself as there are so many memories sewn into it for you.

Vicki in MN said...

So sorry your hubby landed in the hospital, I hope all is well now. Great quilt finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a wonderful response to the "how long does it take" question~. And that backing is perfect for the front of the quilt. I do hope you are keeping this one . . .

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

This is so pretty. Any quilt with a lot of red is a winner. The backing is so perfect for it.

Jenny said...

So beautiful, I seem to remember that you are very fond of roses.

Joni said...

Such a pretty finish. My dad was in the hospital off and on for 9 years, my mom and I would pack our quilting supplies in rolling suitcases. I even packed a small sewing machine when he wasn't admitted to icu. I made 4 hexi queen sized quilts that first year he was in the hospital. I love the stitching on your hand quilting. So glad hubby is home.

MissPat said...

Ooh, I love this one. I have lots of rose fabrics, but not nearly this many and there not all red. I hope John is improving and life has settled down a bit for you.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Lovely. I need to collect some rose fabrics, clearly. I bet you and your quilt were famous in the hospital. Hope you and your husband are bearing up in this difficult time!

Ceci

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a nice surprise, Cathy! I didn't recall that you had another quilt's worth of rose scraps. This quilt it simple, yet SEW effective and beautiful, too!!

Quilter Kathy said...

How beautiful! Even in the winter of life, we can enjoy quilted memories of beauty - very symbolic! Sending big hugs to you - caretaking is hard on the heart!

Chantal said...

Awesome quilt, Cathy. And that says a lot coming from a girl who doesn't really like flowers but this quilt IS awesome! I mean I like real flowers but not cut flowers or drawings of flowers, etc. Yeah, I know. I'm weird, lol. Hope your hubby is getting stronger every day. Take care. ;^)