Friday, November 17, 2023

It's A Top! SIS (Square in Square) #3 of 4

Square in Square (SIS) in Stars
It's a top!
60 x 78

For a couple of years one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects was Square in Square (SIS) blocks (aka Little Chips and Economy Blocks). I used 2.5 inch scraps for the centers and a black and white 2.5 inch squares cut on the diagonals for the sides and ended up with a 3 inch finished block. Well, after a couple of years of making those I ended up with a little over 300 SIS blocks.   So I divided the blocks up into a few piles and decided I could make 4 different quilts with them - four for kiddos and one for an adult. 



For the first SIS quilt I used mostly geometrics, plaids, stripes, polka dots. For the second SIS I used mostly the SIS blocks with novelties. For this one I used mostly floral and solid SIS blocks. 


I turned the SIS blocks into six inch Stars with black/white points and backgrounds a similar color to the center. 

There's twenty-one pieces (and lots and lots of scraps) in those little six inch Stars and that made for a lot of little points to match up in this top. Whew...glad that job is finished!

And sew on...



 

19 comments:

sue s said...

These stars have such a different appearance with SIS blocks! A very cheerful quilt. I love all the ones you've made with SISs and I may use these in the future.

Linda said...

Another great Star Quilt. Super bright top, so many lovely colours, so many things to look at.

Helenchaffin said...

It's beautiful! I'm finishing up this yrs & last yrs RSC quilts lol

Nann said...

SIS-boom-bah!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Fabulous!!! Love Nanns comment!! haha!!
What an amazing quilt!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Beautiful jewel tones. Yes, lots of points to match, almost as much fun as sashing and cornerstones. Neither way would be a fast sew-together.

gayle said...

I love your stars so much! (Now eyeing my own bin of Chips blocks...)

Elle said...

Fabulous. I am consistently impressed with your stash of "reads solid" fabrics.

Happy stitching.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

These stars make a fun quilt design, Cathy! I love how you used the black prints for the star points and a bright color for the background. Lots of happy color!

mangozz said...

Wow, incredible job on these star quilts! I love all of the colors too! Where do you store 300 blocks?

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, I just adore a stars quilt, especially a scrap one. I love the B&W- wonderful idea brought to life.

Jenny said...

Turning your little blocks into stars was a brilliant idea, well done!

grammajudyb said...

The SIS stars are fantastic. I love them.

Chantal said...

Another great quilt using SIS blocks. Although all the stars are black, it is a cheerful and happy quilt. Well done! I hope things continue to look up at your place. Enjoy! ;^)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your scrap choices really made for a dynamic quilt top, Cathy. Well done!

Bernie Kringel said...

Wow! By using the black corners on the sis blocks you have this consistent design element all built in. That is so cool. What a great idea. I love the blocks. It might make me crazy to match up all of those points tho. I would probably have to sash them so the points wouldn't have to be as precise. I am NOT a precise quilter.
:-)

Vivian said...

Another winning scrap block inspiration! I love your SIS-Stars and would love to make some. The lucky recipient of this quilt will really enjoy it!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Another fabulous quilt! Well done!

Mystic Quilter said...

Stars are the best, six inch star blocks even better, two beautiful quilts.