Wednesday, November 15, 2023

It's A Top! Orphan Mildred


It's a top!
Orphan Mildred
63 x 78

In October the theme in my sewing space to move UFOs forward was "Orphan Blocks". I had started on the sashing for these 12 inch blocks but didn't quite get the sashing finished and the top assembled until now in November.  I've been naming my orphan block tops made during October like hurricanes and have made it to the letter M now. I still have a lot of orphan blocks left and am going to let them sit out for awhile now since I might get to them again in December and if not there is always next year.

These were all 12 inch blocks made with '30s reproduction fabrics. Only two of the blocks are mine and I think the rest of them might have come from a few different swaps over the years. 

I made the sashing with Kona Spring Green which is similar to the green my grandmother used in her quilts in the '30s.   Before I retired in 2017 I stocked up on it whenever I found a sale but now I am left with about 1/2 yard of it. 

That Broken Dishes block in purples is mine. 

And the Dandy Quilt Block in green is mine. 

I originally intended to have those two appliqued blocks with more of the white background in the center row but somehow they showed up in the fourth row instead. Ah, the great mysteries of the world! 😉😉

November's theme in my sewing space is Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC). I have several complete block sets that were RSC projects and I hope to get those assembled into tops. And maybe I will get a couple of RSC tops in the quilting queue quilted too. 

And sew on...



 

9 comments:

Elle said...

Mildred is lovely Cathy :-)

Happy stitching,

Nann said...

Mildred is "setting" pretty!

Chantal said...

Orphan Mildred is lovely! That green is perfect for the sashing. Orphan Mildred; you know what that means don't you? M is the 13th letter, so you are halfway through the alphabet already. Amazing job! Take care. ;^)

Linda said...

Love your choice of names. I actually know a lady called Mildred. And the 1930s green is very appropriate.

gayle said...

It amazes me how you can take a group of random blocks and turn them into what looks like a planned quilt! Mildred is a beauty!

Julierose said...

Love that green!! Another lovely orphan finish for you--hugs, Julierose

Jenny said...

Hello Mildred. The green and white sashing is very pretty.

Julie in GA said...

Your orphan blocks turned into a gorgeous quilt! That shade of green seems perfect for the 30's fabrics.

Quilter Kathy said...

A lovely reproduction quilt - that green is classic!