Sunday, November 5, 2023

Bramble Blooms


Audrey at Quilty Folk is hosting a new quilt along entitled Bramble Blooms.  Applique is not normally my "thing" but I was looking through some of my UFOs for some more handwork projects so I can stay closer to my husband for awhile until he is well enough to do a few more things for himself.  I have several quilts I can hand quilt once I find backings and get them pin basted, some embroidery that needs to be done on a few quilt blocks for a '30s UFO, a bunch of old valentine themed crazy quilt blocks I need to assemble and finish for either a bed or table runner, yarn to crochet wash cloths, hats or socks, dishtowels to embroider.   Well, Audrey's QAL came along at the right time for me - another hand work project I can add to my list.  I have followed Audrey's blog for a number of years and have always admired her quilts although about the only thing in common between our quilts is a "make do" attitude. So maybe I will learn a thing or two (or three or four or gazillion) and have some fun. I am an old dog hoping to learn new tricks!!! 

The first step is to assemble 3 similar stacks of fabric since the QAL will result in a series of 3 quilts. I don't normally start with stacks when I make quilts. I usually sew with scraps and all colors so I rarely have to make a decision about what fabrics to use. (Since I retired a few years ago I have enjoyed leaving a lot of decision making behind). I do have a lot of my small stash that is not scraps divided up into collections like '30s repros, rose prints, travel, animals, civil war repros.  So I guess rather than start with stacks if I am not sewing with scraps I start with a collection.   

Well, last year I did start with a stack in response to an AdHoc Improv Challenge to pick a color palette.    I challenged myself to use a color palette of colors I don't really like (orange and lime green) and to see if I could make a quilt I do like.   I did end up making 80 eight inch Anvil blocks in lime green and orange but still have not assembled them into a quilt top so I'm not sure yet if I met the challenge - a quilt I like in colors I don't really like. 

So all that to say I still have the stack of orange and lime green fabrics left over sitting in a small box. I never got them put away.   That what you see in the photo above. That is the stack and colors I am starting with- oranges and lime greens. 

And if needed I have a small bag of scraps left over from making my anvil blocks.  I think those are mostly 3.5 and 2 inch scraps but at the moment don't remember. 


You know how I always like to add a bit of whimsy and fun to my quilts...well, I dug around and found a few more small pieces of lime greens to add to my stack of limes. Sometimes I like to do really weird things and add the unexpected fabric or two to a quilt.  So we shall see if I end up working a few cucumber slices into my quilts. 

And here's a few more small orange pieces to add to the oranges. 

So all three quilts in my Bramble Blooms series will use the limes and oranges. But then...

In one quilt I will add purples to the limes and oranges (and maybe a few purple onions and eggplant).

Along with the oranges, limes and purples there might be tiny bits of yellow and pink thrown in because I do like how they look with purple. 

I really want to try to stay with saturated colors but since  I don't really know where I am going with these quilts (and I don't have all that many larger pieces of saturated purple) I found a few small pieces of some lighter purples to add to stack #1. 

Stack #2 has the same limes and oranges to pick from as stack #1 but I'm going to add blue greens...

...and a greater variety of greens - not just lime greens. (I might also add a touch of basil, a few peas and brussel sprouts if I get a chance). 

Stack #3 has the same orange and limes as stacks #2 and #1  (if there are any left when I get here to ##3) with the addition of pinks. But I don't have many saturated pinks so that idea may be subject to change. 

Along with making stacks we are supposed to make a background for the centerpiece.  I used a few lighter orange scraps for a piece that measures 21.5 x 24.5. 

The next step is to add flowers to the center piece.   Since my stack #1 contains purple I am thinking about purple coneflowers. I also need to find my book on applique. (Have I mentioned that applique is not normally my "thing")? 







 

20 comments:

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I enjoyed reading your post... love how you've explained your choices and I look forward to seeing how things pan out. I too, don't do a lot of applique, but luckily, I found an art vignette which I'll try & use.

Helenchaffin said...

3 quilts? On my! now this has my curiosity up,I do good to finish 1 in a quilt along 🤣

Mystic Quilter said...

I love your fabric choices Cathy! I'm going to be busy over the next week deciding on the applique - I haven't done a lot of that, so something new for me.

Linda said...

Your scraps are fabulous! Never seen such a variety of fabrics. Im looking forward to seeing how these quilts progress.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I'm enjoying reading about the fabric selections people have sorted. These are going to be interesting quilts, happy stitching!

CathieJ said...

Oh my, you really have a lot of hand-stitching projects to work on! Three appliqued quilts when it is not your thing? Good luck!

gayle said...

Wow!! I love your groups of fabric! Can't wait to see how you make them dance!

Angela said...

Such cheerful fabrics! The quilts will be amazing!

Quilter Kathy said...

Wonderful colour collections!
I love Audrey's idea, but am not brave enough to dive in!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Hooray for deciding which fabrics to use as your "foundation" . . . I played it safe this time using a palette similar to Audrey's (and my first finished quilt) but I'm guessing I will go bolder with quilt no 2 when the time comes. I've also decided my appliqué will be machined and not hand stitched (no reason to add a lot of stress to what is supposed to be a fun project). Doodling now to see what I'll come up with that isn't too overly ambitious. Best wishes to hubby as he recovers from this last episode and to you as you stand/sit by him.

Julierose said...

Oh Cathy, I am not usually any kind of appliquer either--although I have done a few projects that used applique. I love your fabric choices--you have such a lovely stash of fabrics. Your background center looks so pretty--nice work--I love this whole idea--we can all cheer each other on;))) Hope your DH is doing okay....hugs and good thoughts heading your way Julierose

Chantal said...

I usually don't "pull" fabrics for my quilts either. I just go with the flow or feel. Organizing fabric for 3 quilts would kill my creativity, I think. You did a great job choosing your palette. I love orange but there are never enough orange quilts on the net for my liking. I'm glad you are making three. Yay! Enjoy! ;^)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I think the cucumber slices would make a nice background for applique. I will be watching all of you as you design your appliques for the center. I'm not an good appliquer but I have done a little hand applique and used to do a lot of machine applique in the 1980s. Piecing is so much more fun.

mangozz said...

I love those saturated colors! I don't care much for lime greens and oranges either but with those purples and blues, and the fun fabrics with fruits and vegetables! I can't wait to see what you do with these fabrics and colors.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

You have so many lovely fabrics to work with . I just adore the "food" fabrics. Have a lovely day.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That was a fun trip through all your pretty fabric, Cathy! I'll enjoy following along as you work on this quilt. It's always good to stretch ourselves with a different kind of project once in awhile!

Quilting Babcia said...

So many fun fabrics in those piles. I hope those cucumber slices show up in all three quilts in the series. Super neutral fabric considering all the other strong colors in the groupings.

maggie fellow said...

combing through your stash must have been so fun - happy quilting

Linda Swanekamp said...

Well, you are doing the QAL and so is Maureen. I love you both, so maybe I should go along even though making the piles is hard for me. I refuse to work with colors I don't like, life is too short. I had a workshop teacher once make me do that and I loathe the piece.

Katie said...

This fabric pull seems rather salad-themed, but that is fun and different. I'm excited to see how all of us interpret the prompts - coneflowers sound perfect!