Monday, November 6, 2023

Bramble Blooms QAL Step 2


Step 2 is to add floral applique to the background center piece made in Step 1. 


In my Step 1 blog post I mentioned that I thought my flower would be some purple coneflowers. Well, coneflowers also come in other colors like orange (and yellow and white) so I will be appliqueing some purple and orange coneflowers to my background like you see above. I keep moving the leaves around so not sure where they will end up when and done. 

This is what I was thinking for layout but I don't want to mess with making bias cut stems to bend so my stems straightened up a bit from my first thoughts. 

Here's my coneflower doodling before I cut my paper template. I made a small template for the flower petals and cone and then used my printer to enlarge it for the bigger ones.   

I am using purple and orange scraps you see above for my coneflowers and the green scraps for my stems. The yellow with red polka dots will be the cone on the coneflower  My next step is to make freezer paper templates from my paper templates. I will iron them to the right side of fabric and cut out shapes leaving a scant 1/4 inch around and then do some needle turn applique.  So that is going to take me awhile but I know what direction I am headed and know the path to get to my destination. 

And sew on...

 

18 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

I just love watching you work! Looks like a terrific plan.

gayle said...

Enjoy that journey! (I know I'll enjoy watching you!)

Julierose said...

This looks great, Cathy--Love your cone flowers...and the background too...
nice work...:)))
hugs, Julierose

Elle said...

Your creativity and "do it ness" has no boundaries. It's going to be fabulous!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving the coneflowers!

audrey said...

This looks amazing CAthy! Love the flowers!:)

Helenchaffin said...

Wow that's going to make an awesome center statement ! I've got to get my stacks together & figure out mt flowers

Jenny said...

I'll enjoy watching you work on this one. Not sure if my brain likes "improv" so I've never tried it.

Rebecca in AK said...

Wow! Great progress! I love the design for your flowers.

Quiltdivajulie said...

FANTASTIC -- I love coneflowers and I think your colors are awesome.

Linda said...

Looking good, Cathy!

mangozz said...

What a great idea having your printer enlarge the pattern for you! I wouldn't have thought of that. It was so funny that the thought of making bias stems made the stems straighten out on their own!

Carissa said...

I love you sketches for the coneflowers, they look great! One of my favorite flowers in the summer.

Linda Swanekamp said...

No grass growing under your feet! Wonderful sketches and ideas moving forward.

Juliann in WA said...

Your flowers are wonderful! This is probably the best QAL I have ever joined

nestki said...

I miss a few days of reading blogs and what do you know! Your hubby is home, hooray! AND you have started Bramble Blooms! I have started it, too. I thought my old stash was huge but now it seems limited. I will make it work! I really love the fabrics you have picked out. I can't wait to see what you make with them.

Ann said...

What fun! Coneflowers are one of the few that survived the heat here this summer. Yours are lovely. This is such a great QAL; hopefully I can join soon.

Nancy said...

Your big, bold cone flowers look wonderful on the background. I especially like the bottom strip of your background. Seeing it reminded me that I have some of that fabric (but unfortunately, I can't seem to find it at the moment). Great fabric colors for the flowers. I'm looking forward to watching the progress on your quilt. Like you, used my printer to make various sizes of the flowers. I'm still not sure what flower motif I'll use, though...
Keep having fun!