Monday, November 27, 2023

Two Finishes: Ballerinas and Dinosaurs

Two finishes!
Ballerinas and Dinosaurs
Both quilts are 45 x 54

Last December I went through some novelty scraps and came across some ballerinas and dinosaurs (and other things to come). A lot of the scraps came from making quilts for grandkids and great nieces and nephews. I kitted up the scraps in December 2022 and in January 2023 I made these two tops. 

Ballerinas
Nine Patches and Squares

Quilted with pink swirls on my Brother PQ1500.

The pink binding came in a box of scraps and was just the right length for this quilt so I guess it was meant to be. 

Dinosaurs has a mix of Squares, Nine Patches and Happy Blocks. I went where the scraps took me. 

I love paw print fabrics. A long time ago I came across dinosaur footprints fabric that I thought was fun too. I think I used the last of the dinosaurs and their footprints in this quilt. 

I quilted in leaves of green so the dinos would have something to eat. 

And the binding is an old green calico.

The backs.
Green goes with the Dinos and Pink goes with the Ballerinas. 

A little quilting marathon has been going on here. Soon I will have boxes of comfort quilts for two of my favorite charities that provide quilts for kids  - Wrap-A-Smile  (WAS)  and      Quilts Beyond Borders.  (QBB)

If you are interested in joining an online group of folks who make quilts for the above two charities and many more then join us at the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild

Notes on shipping:
I recently mailed off a two boxes of quilts to Wrap-A-Smile.  In order to save on shipping costs I tried out Pirate Ship for shipping since it has been recommended by several persons who have been shipping through them for awhile.  I first went to the UPS site to see what the cost would be to ship one box. Then I sent to Pirate Ship to see what the cost would be. I was shocked. I could ship two boxes via Pirate Ship for the cost of one box via shipping directly via UPS.   With Pirate Ship you just measure and weigh your box and then enter destination and then you get various options for shipping either via UPS or USPS. Then pick your option and pay your bill online and then print your box label and take it to any UPS drop off location. I'm definitely going to use Pirate Ship from now on. 


Also next time I'm going to vacuum pack my boxes so I can fit more in.   There's a Youtube video on ow to vacuum pack at Merry Mabel Market.  Or if you have an old laptop and phone like me and they tell you that you need to update before you can watch a Youtube video but then tell you that you can't update because your devices are too old then there is a pdf file on how to vacuum pack at Merry Mabel Market.    For my recent shipping to Wrap-A-Smile I was able to fit 6 quilts in each of my boxes. I have another box the same exact size so next time I ship we shall see how many I can fit in when I vacuum pack! 


And sew on...



 

3 comments:

MissPat said...

Oh no, I see snow.
Thanks for the info on Pirate Ship. I don't currently have a printer. I go to the library when I need something printed. Not that I have any charity quilts ready to send anywhere. Something to keep in mind for the future.
Stay warm.
Pat

Nann said...

Charming quilts. Thanks for the market research about shipping!

Linda said...

Great quilts. I have a lovely picture in my head of dinosaurs munching on your green leaves! What a difference in price to mail your boxes via Pirate Ship. The cost of posting puts me off sending anything and now hand deliver wherever possible. Obviously not possible for what you are mailing.