Thursday, November 23, 2023

It's A Top! Postage Stamp Pandemic 2020

It's a top!
Postage Stamp Pandemic 2020 (PSP20)
88 x 88



I caught the Postage Stamp Pandemic back in June 2020 from Sally (Objects of Design) or maybe I caught it from Gayle (Mangofeet).   

Sally mentions in her January  2021 blog post: "the original source for this infection/confection is Lynn Dykstra at Klein Meisje Quilts where Lynn is working on a series of quilts combining solids and prints. Then the infamous quilt infection super spreader Wanda Sykes at Exuberant Color held several large events where I caught my infection. Of course, Wanda had a very short course with her PSP20 infection while mine lingered for quite a long time." 

(Actually I think Sally meant Wanda Hanson of Exuberant Color)

This was a Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) project for a couple of years. I didn't always have postage stamps cut or a solid in the color of the month to make blocks in some months. 

121  blocks that consist of 64- 1.5 inch (unfinished) squares. That makes for a total of 7744 squares. 

I made this big enough for our bed but now I wish I had made it smaller because it is a lot of fun to cuddle up in a quilt like this on a cold winter day and just look at all the fabrics and play an I Spy game with myself. 

I just sewed the blocks together randomly.

I usually kind of keep the darker blocks for the bottom as I web blocks together. 

And I usually try to keep the lighter blocks for the top.  Athough this quilt is square so it doesn't make any difference as to top, bottom or sides. 

I spy a chocolate chip, a couple of different cats, peppermint candy and bottle caps. (Do bottles still have caps that require a church key opener)?

And sew on...


 

24 comments:

Julierose said...

I really love your postage stamp quilt--the scrappy and solid pieces are striking together...really defines the blocks so nicely..Great work on this
hugs, Julierose

Rebecca in AK said...

Wow! That is just amazing!

Chantal said...

I admired Lynn Dykstra's Postage Stamp quilt, and at the time, I thought of making one. Now, seeing yours, my love is back and I'm itching to make one. Maybe as a RSC2024 block. You did a great job! ;^)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I only have 63 blocks in mine and think I should have made it one row longer each direction. I might still do that since I haven't quilted it yet. I hope you had as much fun as I did making the blocks. With all of those seams to add weight to it, it should be a nice warm quilt.

Julie in GA said...

Your Postage Stamp quilt is gorgeous! I love the combination of solids and prints. Now I'm thinking about trying a block or two.

Linda Swanekamp said...

It is an absolute stunner. This is perfect. It will always enchant. Congratulations!

Tammy said...

Oh this is fascinating! A giant I spy!

Linda said...

Gorgeous! Two words instantly sprang into my mind…….. Saturated Colour! What an amazing sight 7744 tiny squares create. Enjoy this one Cathy.

Pamela Arbour said...

oh wow! I am glad you are saving this one for yourself. It's a perfect collection of your fabrics and all of the charity quilts you have done all put into one blanket of love. I wonder if I can tempt myself to do something like that? You always amaze me at what you have going on behind the scenes.That's a lot of squares.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely AMAZING and beautiful - what an accomplishment!

Quilter Kathy said...

This is just magnificent! I love it so much! The ultimate scrap quilt! WOW!

Nann said...

The solid squares give this a huge punch -- in the very best way. You mention "a quilt for our bed" often....Do you swap them out? Or have a HUGE pile?

mangozz said...

I love this - such beautiful solids! Did you remember to spin all the seams? Did you do any strip piecing? This would be great as a leader/ender project.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is so amazing, Cathy! I really love all the little bits of color. I did not catch that particular virus - I made one block and finished it into a mini quilt - but you're making me rethink that decision!

Cindy said...

Jaw dropping beautiful!!!! Wow! Wow! 🌟🌟🌟

Patricia said...

i absolutely love this quilt. that was an awfully cantagious disease you ran into in 2020-2021. i may start one of these myself. yours is so beautiful. thanks for sharing. patti in florida pleal@cfl.rr.com

gayle said...

It's absolutely gorgeous!!!
(And seeing it is a big incentive to hunt up my own blocks and get busy! I dropped the ball on my RSC blocks this past year and I need to get back into the game!)

Mari said...

What a beauty! A giant I Spy quilt and a memory of that crazy time. Congratulations on a great colorful finish!

Katie Z. said...

That’s a fantastic quilt!

Mystic Quilter said...

WOW Cathy your Postage Stamp Pandemic quilt is amazing and such a great name!!

karenbbsnow said...

OOOOOH my goodness!!!!! Love this so much. You know you are killing me, I'm trying to stay focused on current projects but this is very tempting.

Joni said...

Brava, Cathy! I love postage stamp quilts. The solids are so perfect to give the eye a place to rest. I've been looking for a quilt project for my Mom to use up some of her 1 1/2" pre-cut blocks...winner, winner!
What a happy finish, congrats.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is a super cool kind of infection!! ha!
All the colors and prints are so great together!!!

Lisa S. said...

Beautiful quilt! You are inspiring me to get back to mine. I don’t have nearly enough blocks yet.