Friday, November 3, 2023

SIS #1 of 4 - Square in Square (SIS) and Square

It's a finish!
42 x 54

SIS #1 of 4
or
Square in Square (SIS) and Square

For a couple of years one of my Rainbow Scrap Challenge (RSC) projects was Square in Square (SIS) blocks (aka Little Chips and Economy Blocks). I used 2.5 inch scraps for the centers and a black and white 2.5 inch squares cut on the diagonals for the sides and ended up with a 3 inch finished block. Well, after a couple of years of making those I ended up with a little over 300 SIS blocks.   So I divided the blocks up into a few piles and decided I could make 4 different quilts with them - four for kiddos and one for an adult. 

For this quilt I alternated the 3.5 inch (unfinished) SIS blocks with 3.5 inch squares. I have a bin of different sized squares that are the result of scrap processing. The SIS blocks and squares I used in this one are mostly solids, geometrics, plaids, stripes and dots. I sewed blocks together randomly. 

I quilted it on the diagonals through the squares. 

The backing is a green stripe and the binding is a green dot. 

I finished this and another small quilt a couple of weeks ago but didn't get around to getting them washed up for their glamour shots before hubby went into hospital.  Laundry is not a speedy process around here. You know me...this old fashioned girl's washer is two big tubs with a wringer in between. In good weather my dryer is a clothesline, the wind and/or sunshine and in bad weather it is sometimes a couple of drying racks and sometimes (not often) a very old dryer.  SIS finally got cleaned up and had glamour shots yesterday. 

And sew on...






 

20 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

being able to come up with 4 quilts is amazing! Luv the square in square look!

Julierose said...

WOW that is a lot of SIS blocks for sure. They really make such pretty pieces...nice work on these. I am still making my Old Italian blocks--they are such fun...Hugs for a super weekend :))) Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

WHen I was little, my mother had a wringer washer. Clothes were wrung out, from the washer to a laundry tub of rinse water, then wrung out again. My two pinky fingers are bent a bit from the time I got them caught helping wringing out the clothes. Not fond memories.

grammajudyb said...

Such a great scrap quilt! Love the pops of yellow and bright green! Well done!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quilts - I was amazed at all you accomplish even before hearing about your laundry arrangement! Now I just feel lazy. Warmest wishes to you and your husband.

Ceci

Anonymous said...

I love this one. Super job.
Prayers for you and your husband.
Sharon M

Chantal said...

I'm with Ceci on this one. You AMAZE me big time! I'm old enough to remember the wringer washer. The time it took to do laundry back then. Seriously, you amaze me and you get all those quilts finished too. I hope your hubby is getting stronger every day. Take care. Sending prayers. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a bright and happy finish! Love the mix of colorful squares and SIS blocks.

Linda said...

Lovely cheerf

Linda said...

Don’t know what happened there! I’ll try again! Lovely cheerful quilt. Yes, I remember those wringers. Mum had one in the shed. Clothes were washed in a big metal tub, shaped like a beer barrel, bashed with a “posser” then put ithrough the wringer. I hated Wash days!

JCH said...

Glad you're both back. Hope things continue to improve. :o)

Jenny said...

I remember you stitching those seemingly endless little blocks, do I'm not surprised you have enough to make four quilts. This one is lovely, wonder how you will do the other three?

Mystic Quilter said...

Beautifully colourfull, those on point squares just pop!

Deb A said...

What a fun quilt! I need to remember these SIS blocks. Thank you for the inspiration.

Sara said...

Those scrappy SIS make such a great quilt.

mangozz said...

This quilt seems to sparkle with all of those bright colors! Lots of work in all of those blocks though.

Kara Kwilts said...

So glad you both are back home. Every day I would check you blog and since most of the days you hadn't posted, I took that time to say a prayer for the both of you. It just seemed fitting. I love seeing all the quilts you make. Have a great day! I'm off to make applesauce. :)

Quilter Kathy said...

I love this one! Such a great RSC project!

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Such a fascinating approach the RSC. Your plan to make now, decide what to do later, is paying dividends. Looking forward to seeing each iteration of SIS quilts.

Vivian said...

Yet another of your scrappy inspirations that I have to put on my "To Do" list! I love this as an RSC project too. Taking a page from Lori Holt: Your scrappiness is my happiness!