Monday, November 2, 2020

Loafing Around

Star #9 from Sugarloaf wedges

Star #10 from Sugarloaf wedges. 

Pattern is called Flashes of Brilliance by Pam Buda and was found in  the October 2015 edition of American Patchwork and Quilting. 

The goal is 25 stars. I've been using fabrics from stash and muslin. 

A few weeks ago I was doing a little research on Sugarloaf quilts and came across a tutorial for a Sugar Plum block at Susies-Scraps.  I have had a bunch of scraps left over from Peppermint Twist and thought the Sugar Plum blocks would be a good way to use those scraps. 

The tutorial calls for a 10 inch width of fabric but mine are 8 inches. That's okay. I just need to cut 60 degree equilateral triangles and then follow the tutorial and my block will be a little smaller at 7.5 inches instead of 9.5 inches. 

So I gave the tutorial a try. The result of the tutorial should be 3 identical blocks but I chose to make 2 blocks the same and one different.  My first try I ended up with 2 wedges at 7.5 inches and one at only 7 inches and a little wonky. I think I that is because the maker is wonky and cutting was a little less than precise.  I didn't want to give up after my first try so tried again with two different fabrics. 


 On my second try I ironed the lines where I should cut the wedges and voila! success! I had three Sugar Plum blocks that measured 7.5 inches.  I was thinking that for the alternate wedges I could use this red with white pin dots fabric. Or I may find something else. I'm just going to make Sugar Plums from Peppermints for now. 

I've been waiting for days for the winds to die down enough to go take some pictures of a couple of finishes. I've just been loafing around while waiting. 

5 comments:

Pamela Arbour said...

You are almost half way. Yippee!

---"Love" said...

I love those Christmas candy fabrics! I used some of the same ones a few years back; they will probably appear in my house again in a few weeks. Each one of those blocks just get prettier; I can't wait to see the finished quilt "by Saturday"? :) ---"Love"

Louise said...

What a great block! I'm a sucker for these sorts of "sew all around the edges then cut into magical new pieces" techniques. This would make a great RSC block to use larger scraps chunks, too :)

Laura said...

Those Sugar Loaf blocks are going to make a great quilt!
You loaf? I don't believe it! :)

gayle said...

Sugar sugar everywhere!
Can't wait to see what all this sweetness leads to!