Thursday, November 26, 2020

'30s Thursday

This week I made the halfway point on my Little Scrap Baskets and Hollow Nines. Then I ran out of blocks. 

I figured out I needed 36 more Little Scrap Baskets so I made those. Now I just need to make 45 Hollow Nines. First I need to cut 360 little 2 inch squares from various sizes of scraps and that takes a whole lot longer than just cutting up a few 2 inch strips. But I have been trying to work on something each week that uses '30s reproduction scraps so I guess I know what my next task happens to be. 

This week I also made 56 Wishing Rings with "dark" corners. I used more of those '30s reproduction 3.5 inch scraps to make them. 


These Wishing Rings finish at 3.5 inches and I've been making them for a couple of years as a Rainbow Scrap Challenge Project. The sides I've been cutting from 1.5 inch scraps. The 2 inch center and 1.5 inch corners I've been cutting from 3.5 inch scraps. 

Remember last week when I mentioned I still had a bunch of 3.5 inch scraps left after I made 120 Economy blocks with 3.5 inch centers?  Well...here is how I cut the 3.5 inch scrap for those Wishing Ring centers and corners.  I'm left with a tiny bit of waste and I also get extra 1.5 inch squares for the pencil box of 1.5 inch squares I've been using to make PSP20 (Postage Stamp Pandemic 2020) blocks. 

After making those 56 blocks I still have some 3.5 inch scraps leftover but I'm setting them aside for a bit now until I evaluate all the UFOs I have going that use '30s reproduction fabrics. 


 So now that gives me 280 Wishing Rings with dark corners toward my goal of 312. They are made in a variety of scraps and not just '30s reproductions. Only 32 more blocks to go after all these years! I already have 312 with light corners. The light and dark cornered blocks will alternate in the finished quilt. 

8 comments:

sue s said...

You are doing a great job using up those scraps! I find I don't have the tolerance for 2" and below anymore. I've been enjoying your wishing rings; that will be a fun quilt!

The Joyful Quilter said...

I don't have very many 30's fabrics. I'm enjoying the variety of scraps in your stash. You have been SEW productive this week, Cathy!

Louise said...

Lots of pretty scraps being used this week! I've noticed that in many photos, the triangle corners of the blocks haven't been trimmed. The "extra" layer in the back is still visible. When do you do cut off those bonus triangles? Right before the blocks get sewn into a top? Right after taking the block photos? Just curious about your process, because I'm nosy :)

Linda said...

Those blocks are so pretty. The orange fabric is beautiful.

mangozz said...

Those Wishing Ring blocks are very pretty, but 3.5" finished? And a whole quilt of them? Wow!

MissPat said...

That's a lot of tiny blocks. I'm liking the hollow nines and thinking maybe I might make some of those with either my overflowing 2" or 2.5" squares. Re: the Wishing Ring blocks - I assume you are going to sew the blocks together alternating dark corners with light corners. Have you been pressing the light corners toward the center so the seams will nest?
Pat

gayle said...

You have the prettiest scraps and the funnest blocks! (And that's 'funnest' not 'funniest')
My 3.5" bin is packed full and overflowing - I'm eyeing those wishing rings with great interest!

QuiltGranma said...

Love the '30's fabrics!