Sunday, November 29, 2020

Maybe I Should Call This One Wild Roses

It's a finish! 
Wild Roses 
76 x 93
Hand quilted with perle cotton


This quilt began with the backing...a big print of roses. I had it in my stash for quite a long time but could not bear to cut it up. And there was several yards of it which is unusual around here. So I decided it would make a nice backing and decided I needed to make a front to go with it. 

I was inspired by this c. 1830-1840 Uneven Nine Patch quilt in the Cyril Irwin Nelson collection at the American Folk Art Museum and set about making my version of the top. 

I made the Uneven Nine Patches out of a variety of rose themed fabrics. I happened to have an orange print with roses to use for the alternate blocks but figured out I didn't have enough of it. I did find another orange/pink print with some other flowers on it I could also use. Actually I was kind of surprised I had so many orange prints because I thought that was not a color I really cared for. The fabrics must have been deeply discounted enough to find their way into my stash I guess. (Straying way off subject here but I think I got enough of the color orange and all it's shades and variations back in the '70s when we purchased out first house and painted most of the walls yellow or peach or apricot or light orange.)  Anyway...I had to do a bit of thinking in order to figure out how to use fabrics to their best advantage.  I finished the top on December 26, 2019. 



I quilted it with perle cotton #8 and #12 and used a variety of different colors in shades of a beautiful sunset - pinks, reds, yellows, rusts. At first I thought it would be enough to just stitch straight vertical lines. 

But when I finished all of the straight vertical lines I didn't think that was enough quilting so I stitched a lot of horizontal lines.  I did use a ruler and hera marker to mark my quilting lines. 

I used a pale yellow rose print for the binding. 

And that brings me back around to the beginning of the story. 

There was not quite enough of that backing print to completely cover the back. But I did have an even bigger rose print I added to the end. I had just 1/2 yard of it and it and that was just enough so it was meant to be I suppose. 




 

27 comments:

Julierose said...

What a gorgeous finish on your Wild Roses...it is a beautiful piece
nice work hugs from faraway, Julierose

christina said...

It's beautiful!! The colours and ratio of contrast and blend reminds me of Kaffe Fassett's style.

gayle said...

I love it! I think the use of the two different orange rosy fabrics takes a really good quilt and makes it a really great quilt!
Though truly, you had me at orange!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Love the name and you are so darn talented! Another gorgeous quilt!

Angela said...

I am not big on the colour orange but you did a fabulous job! This quilt is absolutely gorgeous!

cityquilter grace said...

wow that is gorgeous indeed...every bit as nice as any i've seen in kaffe fassett's books...good thing you're staying home...you might be getting a call from him...LOL

Quilting Babcia said...

Wowser, that is one gorgeous finish! Love that backing fabric, it looks so vintage with the softer shades. Uneven nine patch blocks are a favorite around here too.

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is simply grand - in every way.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

So pretty, Cathy! I enjoyed your description of how this quilt came together. There are amazing things in that stash of yours!

Karrin Hurd said...

Gorgeous finish on Wild Roses~ Hope you have a great stitching day~

Nann said...

Roses in Almost-December. All that scrappy goodness -- meant to go together!

Meredith said...

Lush and gorgeous! Enjoy this beautiful quilt: just for you.

CathieJ said...

Wild Roses is gorgeous and the perfect name. I love the vast variety of fabrics that you used.

Jenny said...

So beautiful, and hand quilted as well, congratulations! I like how you have used so many beautiful rose prints, and you have chosen the perfect name for your quilt, Wild Roses.

Kim said...

Your Wild Roses is zinging with glorious colour and pattern! Every fabric you have used is perfect. Why, your quilt looks like a secret garden where roses have been left to grow wild. Your quilting is fabulous, too. I did smile when you mentioned that you had the beautiful backing fabric first and planned the quilt top around it. A most amazing finish!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You have hand quilted so many quilts this year. I don't know how you can do it so fast. I love the oranges in this quilt and they aren't overpowering, just a nice backdrop for the blocks.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Lock your doors tonight, Cathy!! Gayle at Mango Feet will want to snatch this lovely quilt right from your hands. Yes, I'm a fan of orange and love it, too! It makes me smile to look at your new quilt and Wild Roses is a perfect name for it.

Cathy said...

Another beautiful rose quilt! I love how you make do - and everything comes out perfectly!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Another amazing quilt! Love those large orange alternate squares! And a great way to use that larger (older) piece for your backing.

Marianne said...

Gorgeous quilt! Such a labor of love.

Teresa near Denver said...

Looking really good. Came together well, and gave you empty space I. The stash using up stuff. Job well done.
Teresa near Denver

MissPat said...

Hmmm. Keep showing these beautiful collages of floral fabrics and I might finally get up the steam to make one myself.
Pat

Linda said...

Another super Rose quilt. Your ideas for using up scraps continues to amaze and inspire me 😻

Mystic Quilter said...

Love the richness of the colours in this quilt Cathy and the pattern gives the chance to use those lovely larger blocks of floral fabric.
Beautiful quilt!

Louise said...

Truly a beauty! Great back story, so to speak. We had a house with orange, yellow, brown, green and purple walls at one point. Yes, all at once in lots of different rooms. But it still wasn't as colorful as this lovely piece :)

QuiltGranma said...

WOW! That is a wild quilt! Love it!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Wild ROses is a perfect name!! What a great quilt!!