Saturday, November 21, 2020

Cleaning Out The 2.5 Inch Scrap Bin -- Part I









I dug into the 2.5 inch scrap bin and made 23 more Dakota Farmer blocks to complete a set of 80. The inspiration was a Bonnie Hunter Addicted to Scraps column. She made hers from 2 inch scraps (1.5 inch finished HSTs for a 6 inch finished block) but I made mine from 2.5 inch scraps (2 inch finished HSTs for an 8 inch finished block). 


These Hourglass blocks are the only other Rainbow Scrap Challenge project I have in process that uses 2. 5 inch scraps. I haven't made any for a couple of months (shown here are old blocks) because I'm out of black and BOB (black on black) fabric and am trying not to buy fabric unless it is for a backing.  The reason I started making these blocks was because I won 23 blocks in a Block Lotto in December 2019 and 23 was not enough for even a small quilt. 

I counted up my blocks and found a total of 74. I think that is enough for a small donation quilt set 7 x 10 (42 x 60) with four left over for the back or the orphanage. 

Long ago when I first started sorting scraps I found I had a LOT of 2.5 inch scraps so I started a bin (later moved to a box) of 2.5 inch scraps. Most were left over from making Happy Blocks with 6 inch centers and 2.5 inch sides or leftover from other blocks I made for swaps. As the years went on when I found I had a lot of scraps of a certain width I started a small box to hold scraps of that width. When I found the Rainbow Scrap Challenge (2013????) I decided to make blocks that used 2.5 inch scraps in the color of the month. Then later as the other bins became full I decided on other RSC projects that used other sizes of scraps. Thankfully my scraps have dwindled using this approach and I've had fun seeing what scraps I had to work with when the color of the month was called.  Now that my scraps have dwindled I have decided to try to use scraps as they are made BUT also keep scrap chunks by color. For me scrap chunks have always been anything greater than 4.5 inches and less than a FQ and I have kept those all together in a milk crate that started overflowing.  Now I have started storing those by color in separate containers.  

This year I emptied my 3. 5 inch scrap bin and my 4. 5 inch scrap bin. I have my 1. 5 inch scrap bin almost empty. I am still actively working with the 2 inch scraps and I hope to empty that bin next year when I am finished with several projects.   And that leaves my 2. 5 inch scrap bin which has always seemed to be full. Now that I have finished my RSC blocks that use 2. 5inch scraps I have a plan to empty the paper copier box  filled with bags for each color of 2.5 inch scrap. More on that plan tomorrow in Part II of "Cleaning Out the 2.5 Inch Scrap Bin". 


 

21 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW many wonderful scrappy bits, Cathy!!! Those Star blocks are going to make a gorgeous quilt. Here's hoping your quilt comes together soon!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The Dakota Farmer blocks are great in any color - they're going to make a beautiful quilt! I'm always interested in hearing about your scrap user system, and so impressed that you really are using them up!

Julierose said...

WOW you are totally organized. My scraps are in a big bag: --willy-nilly- strips, cut offs, whatevers...and a lot need to be cut up..Perhaps I might not start anything new, but sort, cut and store....do you also sort by color--like in your 2.5" bin???
Love those stars..so pretty...
hugs from afar, Julierose

swooze said...

Wow I love the Dakota farmer blocks!

Cathy said...

I love, as I have for months, your DF blocks. I remember you pointing out all the HST’s, which I never cared for until you turned me on to the Easy Angle ruler. Anyway, when I did my Friendship Star (aka Ribbon Star) quilt, each 6” block had 8 of 9 pieces that were HSTs. Dakota Farmer has 12 out of 16 pieces as HSTs, but it’s an 8” block. I think I’m sold!! RSC 2021, here I come. Thanks, as always, for the inspiration!!

LA Paylor said...

I cannot believe I'm saying this... I LOVE the gray stars.

Jenny said...

My goodness, as I was reading your explanation on how you have been using up your different width scraps, I was thinking, wow, what a well organized wonderwomam!

Linda said...

I always enjoy reading posts about how you sort, manage and use your scraps. Love the blocks you are currently working on. Have you ever added up how many quilts you have made from your scraps?

gayle said...

I love love love those Dakota stars! I'm sure they're going to be appearing in my not-too-distant future! (Thanks!)
I always enjoy hearing how you keep your scraps organized. Given how productive you are, you've got an excellent system!

Deb A said...

Those Dakota stars are just lovely. You have done a great job working through your scraps.

Susie H said...

Way to empty those scrap bins!!! Very pretty blocks.

Marei said...

I really admire the way you've worked through your scrap bags/bins/boxes. Unfortunately for me, all my scrap containers are filled & overflowing even though I've been making blocks from them. The "problem" has been incredible generosity of friends who constantly give me scraps. I've told everyone that I'm on a scrap diet for at least 8-10 months! I HAVE to be able to use up some of what I already have. You are my inspiration. 😊

Laura said...

Like everyone else, I love your Dakota Farmer blocks (especially the gray)! And it is fun and inspiring to read about your organization!

MissPat said...

I started trying to make blocks from scraps as they (the scraps) are made and I wound up with scraps everywhere. So i'm rethinking that plan. My how young Bonnie looks in the photo. Must get re-motivated tomorrow. I've been slacking off the last few days. Gonna snow tomorrow so there's no excuse.
Pat

Pamela Arbour said...

Thanks for sharing that and the pics. Love those stars!

mangozz said...

All your blocks look great and colorful! I wish that I had room to get all of my scraps organized like yours are. I am so cramped for space. Did you get your sewing machine fixed yet?

Nann said...

Once again I see a couple of fabrics that were in the box I sent you ages ago! I was wondering when you'd pull out the hourglass blocks which were the Block Lotto finale. (Just a year ago!)

Louise said...

Your systematic approach to using all those scrap sizes is working really well!

Wendy F said...

Wonderful scrappy stars! It's so fun to see all the little fussy cut treasurers.

Quiltdivajulie said...

2.5" is such a popular size but such a conundrum at the same time. I much prefer the "look" of 1.5" strips/squares but they're also much more time consuming and even fiddly. The 2.5" pieces look giant in comparison . . . but what you do with your scraps is just astonishing. I love watching how to turn leftovers into main course delights.

Katie Z. said...

Yay for cleaning out a box of scraps. I need to finish off my 2.5” box and then get serious about my 2” scrap box, which is full to bursting.