Friday, November 13, 2020

Little Wonky Stars Top


Little Wonky Stars 
40.5 x 58.5
It's now a flimsy! 

I was going to quilt it but my sewing machine is at the repair shop (again. It was there in May). I do have a backup machine but it has a lot of tension problems along with thread breakage no matter what I do so I don't like to quilt on it. 

A few weeks ago I got out a little bag of Wonky Stars I had made with waste triangle points and 2 inch scraps. I separated the Wonky Stars into two piles...one with white backgrounds and one with the rest. With "the rest" I decided my November OMG (One Monthly Goal) would be to make a little donation quilt approximately 40 x 60. 

I didn't have enough of the 4.5 inch finished Stars to make an entire quilt so first I made four large Wonky Stars with Little Wonky Stars as the centers.  Then I added a little coping strip around to bring it up to the size I needed to add Wonky Stars to the sides. 


Then I added three rows of Little Wonky Stars to the top...

...and to the bottom.   I had a few Little Wonky Stars left over and will throw those in the orphan box (orphanage) or I may use them on the back since I know I have to piece the back. I may be able to use one for a label. The place I will donate this requires a label. 

Now I'm in the process of making an entirely different top using those Little Wonky Stars with the white backgrounds. 




 

21 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

wow very nice and colorful!

grammajudyb said...

Wow is right! It’s great Cathy! The big center star blocks are a great idea,

Nann said...

Such a clever setting to use up the scraps-upon-scraps! Hope your machine gets fixed soon. The shop where I take mine has a queue of dozens of machines waiting for service. I don't know how long the wait is, but I ought to make an appointment.

Kat Scribner said...

LOVE this one. So pretty and so scrappy and delightful !

sue s said...

Really nice use of waste pieces! I guess I should stop throwing those little ones out; these are so cute!

Jenny K. Lyon said...

Happy scrappy quilt and I love those colors!

gayle said...

Wow! Wonky for the win!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Oh, fun!! I love this with the double stars in the center. Nice work!

Quiltdivajulie said...

This is an absolute winner of a quilt top -- I love your wonky stars inside wonky stars (coping strips rock, don't they?).

Linda said...

What a delightful quilt! Bright, jolly, clever use of those Eonky Stars. Your flimsy is a STAR, Cathy. *****

Jenny said...

This star top looks great, and I'm sure the second one with white background will be just as lovely. Such a great feeling to finally use up the blocks and turn them into something special. I've got star blocks tucked away somewhere, now what shall I do with them...

AnnieQuilts said...

Very clever! I love it!

Unknown said...

Very cute quilt! Your tension issues are probably causing your thread breakage on your backup machine. Maybe it's time to get that one serviced too.

mangozz said...

That was me (Sharon) on the above comment. I think I finally got that straightened out.

MissPat said...

A wonderful solution to use up the wonky star blocks. I have trouble with wonky. I have a small number from a class I took with Bonnie Hunter, but there really aren't enough to make a quilt. Too many oars in the water. Sorry your machine is acting up again. I need to get mine in for a cleaning. It's been two years, I think, but we're rapidly heading to another Covid wave, so I won't be going anywhere for a while.
Pat

Louise said...

Bold and bright! These stars really shine, especially those big one with little ones burning in the centers. Great design!

audrey said...

Very charming quilt Cathy! There's just something about sawtooth star blocks that make me smile.:)

Pamela Arbour said...

I always like to see your creativity! Thanks for all the inspiration you give

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love that solution to not enough blocks - this is a great quilt. Fingers crossed you machine comes back quickly!!

QuiltGranma said...

It is darling!

Patty said...

Very sweet! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!