Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Triangle Tuesday

I'm still sorting waste triangles every day and I've been making hourglasses every day. 
The waste triangles are wonky and so are the hourglasses. I'm leaving them wonky. I use an old 18 x 24 cutting mat with batting on it for a place to take photos. I probably have enough waste triangles now that would cover that area three times. I have lots more waste triangles to sort and sew so I'm thinking I may have enough of these little things when all is said and done for a quilt. 


I've also been making a few Wonky Stars with waste triangle points. These will be made into Double Nine Patches. 

I'm having fun with these. I'm glad I decided not to waste the waste triangles. 

And speaking of not wasting...


I took advantage of the nice weather to play in the leaves. I took a piece of old wire fencing and made a couple of little cages for leaves near my herb garden. I'm going to add more leaves to this and other cages of them and hope to have some nice leaf mold for the garden next year. This is separate from the compost piles which are at the edges of the veggie garden. 


I also kind of added leaves and small brush to paths I've been trying to mark out through a previously overgrown area I spent all summer  slowly clearing of wild black raspberries, small trees and shrubs and invasive weeds like Stinging Nettle and Pokeweed.  It doesn't look like much now but I'm hoping to turn it into a native wildflower area.  I'm kind of excited about it and so far I have planted Camassia (wild hyacinth) bulbs I hope to see in the spring.  A lot of the wildflower seeds I will winter sow in January or February. More on that later. 

 

6 comments:

Linda said...

Love your playing with waste triangles. Of course,Wonky Stars are always a winner for me so I’m looking forward to seeing what happens to them, also the Hour Glass blocks.

Connie said...

The wonky stars are so pretty :)

Ann said...

What fun to see hourglass blocks coming along. They and the stars are both lovely and will make wonderful quilts.
How interesting to see what you can do with your yard. I'm curious how you will winter sow with snow on the ground. How will things work if the ground is frozen?

gayle said...

Love your waste-not-want-nots!
And I'm looking forward to watching that new wildflower garden grow!

Julierose said...

Oh don't you love making hourglasses? I sure do; and right now I am on a Flying Geese "jag"..I seem to fly (haha) from one thing to another these days...
And...Your tiny, twinkley stars are so pretty too...

I am making a lot of waste triangles from the Snow Geese (did someone clip their wings?) so I will be making something from those next...
Take care and stay safe
hugs from your mask-wearing friend, Julierose ;()

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your blocks are all so great - I love all the color you use!! I may just have to dig in deeper to my stash and see if there is anything other that Patriotic !